Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
~~5 Month Old Not Rolling Over--- Should I Be Worried?
eliz1497 posted:
Hi, my son will be 5 months old tomorrow, and he is not rolling over AT ALL. He will not tolerate being on his back or his tummy for more than 10 minutes at a time. When he is on his tummy, he can pick his entire upper body up, but he makes absolutely no effort to roll over. He can almost sit up by himself, and he is babbling and talking all day long. He grabs his toys and reaches for things. But he just doesn't roll over. He doesn't even get close to rolling over.

I am wondering if I should be worried about this. At his four month appt, the pedi assured me that rolling over should probably be moved from a 3-4 month milestoe to a 5 month milestone, but still...here he is five moneths and he is not even close to doing it. Anyone, especially experts, who can offer advice, please do!

Take the Poll

How old was your child when they started rolling over?
  • 3 months
  • 4 months
  • 5 months
  • 6 months
  • 7 months or older
vote
View Poll Results

emily8091457 responded:
My DD hated tummy time. We tried putting her on it and she would just scream the entire time. But even when she WAS on her tummy she didn't roll over. She was about 9 months old by the time she finally did it. Then she started crawling like a week or two later. She started pulling up and cruising the furniture at about 11-12 months and then walked on her own at 14 months. So... I guess I wouldn't be TOO worried... especially if your LO isn't a fan of being on his belly. I'm sure if your pedi was worried they would say so and tell what needed to be done. Try not to stress too much, though I know it's hard when you have all the milestones floating around. :)

HeatherHans responded:
My first was rolling both ways at 4 mo. Second baby is 4 mo and like yours shows no interst in rolling. If your guy has good muscle tone, I wouldn't worry. (short response - typing w/ one hand!)

Anmar22 responded:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Every baby does things at their own pace. My DD is 4 months old and has been rolling over but that's all. We did work with her a little we would lay her on the floor and lift her legs up and roll her side to side, I think that helped her get the idea of it. IMO every baby sets their own milestones.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.