Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Question for other working moms...
GigiSage posted:
DD is 7 weeks (time FLIES!) and lately it seem that while she is at daycare she will take regular naps but when she is home she refuses to take a nap. Even on the weekends she tries to stay awake as much as she possibly can... is it possible that she misses us while we are gone and tries to stay awake to be around us? I keep feeling like that is such a silly thought since she is barely two months old but that is the only reason we can think of that she refuses to nap... she sleeps GREAT at night! She will go to bed around 10pm and sleep until 5-6am. Am I just having guilt/wishful thinking from being away from her for so long everyday?

help1977 responded:
I'm a SAHM. My DD is 9 weeks old and she does not take very many naps at all during the day. she also sleeps through the night and has since 6 weeks old. I would just be happy that you get to sleep all night. I know that dosen't help with your guilt, but just think about how hard it would be to do it with no sleep.

mommabear3502 responded:
It might be bc her routine is thrown off on the weekends.

GigiSage replied to help1977's response:
We are very happy she sleeps so well at night, but the lack of naps during the weekends and the evenings makes her super cranky. We just want her to be a happy baby - her smiles in the morning are HUGE :) And last night when I finally got her to take a nap for about 30 minutes after she woke up she couldn't stop smiling at me and cooing. Maybe in the evening I will just have to work extra hard to get her to take a nap for me so she doesn't get as cranky.

jlenn responded:
One of my baby books mentions that if parents work, then they may notice their baby becomes more "wakeful," as the book put it, when they are home. It really can be because she misses you, so that when you're home she wants to stay awake.

GigiSage replied to jlenn's response:
Well that makes me feel less crazy... LOL I think I will just hold her for her evening naps so she might be a happy baby. Not that I really mind... :D

jlenn replied to GigiSage's response:
That was the book's suggestion too -- hold and cuddle your baby as much as you can when you get home. It also mentioned that babies might start waking up during the night to see you even if they'd been sleeping through the night before, but luckily it seems you don't have that problem!

GigiSage replied to jlenn's response:
I thought I would share this about today... so DD had been refusing to nap again and we were trying to get housework done so when I got home from grocery shopping DH was feeding her and planning on giving her to me. I told him just to lay her down in her crib because I had way to much to put away and i would just have to listen to her cry while I did it. So she was crying and whining, since she had sucked the four ounce bottle dry I made another one for her after I got done putting everything away. I went in to get her and she had her eyes tightly shut and her arms over her face. The second I put my hand on her tummy and spoke to her she shot her hands up in the air like she was saying 'take me take me!'. It was so cute and then I picked her up and took her to the changing table so I could check her diaper and she was such a happy baby.

It is still going to be frustrating that she is so clingy during the evening and weekends but we will just try to take turns being extra attentive to her. Like this even while DH was mowing the lawn I propped her up with a pillow on the couch and just cuddled with her, she even cat napped and when she woke up she just smiled at me.

NatureMonster responded:
yep very normal. i worked full time until ds was 18m. he never took normal naps on the weekends. he usually took like one long one instead of 2 2 hour naps. i think he did miss me and dh so he wanted to stay awake for us. just let her be up with you and play with her and enjoy the time you do have with her.

www.naturemonster.com

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.