Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
4 months old & Crawling???
wilson1988 posted:
my sister in law has recently been telling everyone that her 4 month old has been trying to crawl and that she is crawling. but no one has ever really seen the child crawl. the only thing ive seen the baby do is slither across the floor. but my sister in law swears the baby can literally crawl. my question is - is it possible for 4 month olds to crawl? or is she just calling it crawling & her baby is just slithering/creeping across the floor.

emily8091457 responded:
Well I can't say for sure, obviously, if the child is crawling because I haven't seen her. But is seems VERY young to be truly crawling. I guess it's possible for them to maybe slither/pull themselves along, but even that seems sort of advanced for that age. My DD#2 is almost three months old and there is NO way she's even close to something like that. My DD#1 was a little ahead of the game at 4 months old because she could sit up... MOST babies do that around 5-6 months I think. So I don't know... crawling at 4 months seems kind of crazy to me.

scperdomo responded:
DS was sitting unassisted by 3 months and crawling around 5 months, actually crawling, belly off the floor on all fours crawling, so its definitely possible. And once he started doing that, its all he wanted to do and was more than willing to let the world know. So, if your niece is crawling, I'm surprised no one else has actually seen it.

I guess DS has just been super eager to see the world and get around on his own, before he was even crawling, he was cruising a bit, even more so after he started crawling and by 9 months he was straight up walking. Its cool, but at the same time, I fell like I missed out on him being a baby longer, lol.

jlenn responded:
It would be really unusual for her LO to be truly crawling at 4 months. But not impossible, I suppose -- and if crawling, probably only for very brief spurts. But even if the baby is not actually crawling and is just schooching/slithering on the floor, it's normal for a mommy to be excited about her baby's development and milestones. No harm in calling it crawling.

Tayleesmommy replied to jlenn's response:
I just wanted to chime in here, my baby girl just turned 4 months old & is starting to crawl!!! I have a 12 year old son who started crawling at 6 months. I was shocked when I saw my daughter up on all fours!! She started standing with help when she was only 2 weeks old, she is a very strong, independant baby. It is possible for a 4 month old to crawl because I've seen it!! I even posted pictures on my facebook of my daughter crawling incase my friends didnt believe me, because it is hard to believe. For the most part she "slithers" because she is still just learning how to keep her whole body up but she does crawl.

curiousgeorgefan responded:
YUP!! it is possible!!! my lil man sat unassisted at 2.5mths crawling a week before his 4th month pulling up at 6mths and walking at 7mths!!! Very active and more on the physical side!! I would say that its more possible if the baby is light on the scale but that is just my opinion. My son has always been on the bottom end my friends' kids have been average or above and started everything 3 to 6 months after he had already started!!!

Mellyb66 replied to curiousgeorgefan's response:
My now 17-year-old son crawled & pulled himself up @ 4 months. He was born 8 lbs. 15 oz. By 5 months, he could climb. He is brilliant today & a rock climber!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.