Skip to content
Is my 3.5 month old teething???
Kirrasmom posted:
Me and my husband are getting concerned. We think our baby girl, who's birthday was april 9th of this year, is teething. She is gumming EVERYTHING! Our legs, our fingers, blankets, toys, etc. and drooling excessively. I know the drooling shouldn't be a cause for concern, but she never drooled until lately. We also can occasionally feel bumps on her lower left side. Any tips on how to handle this? She has been ahead of most other kids. She has held her head up at 90 degrees since she was born, she can sit on her own if you get her propped up, and she tries to walk holding onto your fingers.

j9ween2 responded:
it's possible that she is teething. drool is normal at this age. sticking things in the mouth is their way of exploring and learning. most babies don't get teeth until about 7 months. BTW - April 9 is a great b-day, it's mine too!
Janine (Tyler -5, Bella -3, and Giana -3.5 months)

jermanda23 responded:
We've thought our so has been teething forever but no teeth yet and he just turned 9 months old. He's always done the same things you mentioned - drooling a lot, gumming everything he can get near his mouth, and he's had small bumps on the bottom gums for awhile. She may be teething already - our dr. said only about 5% of babies start teething prior to 6 months. So it's rare, but since she's ahead on milestones she may be teething. My son hates teethers - the only thing he loves to chew on is our fingers, a wet wash rag or his Sophie the giraffe teether. Just in case your daughter doesn't like traditional teethers.

crystal2883 responded:
I have a 4 month old baby and he starting drooling and sticking everything into his mouth around 3 months old. He also started to get cranky. We assumed that he was teething, but did not feel any bumps in his mouth. About a week ago, he had a tooth pop through. We give him cool teething rings from the refrigerator which seems to help. He also likes to chew on wash cloths.

Kirrasmom replied to j9ween2's response:
Thank you!!!

Kirrasmom replied to jermanda23's response:
yeah, she is very picky. She prefers her hands or our hands to teething rings. I will have to try a wet wash rag though, I never would have thought about that!!! Thank you!

Kirrasmom replied to crystal2883's response:
Do you have any particular brand of teething ring you use?

casperkawa responded:
My first had two teeth by the time he was 2 1/2 months old and six teeth by six months. All my other children had teeth by the time they were four months so it is possible. Good luck.

crystal2883 replied to Kirrasmom's response:
We got ours from Target, but I don't know what brand it was. We also recently got one from Walmart that vibrates and he really seems to like that one the best.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.