Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
please help me im a first time father and dont know what to do
gotjak posted:
my sons umbilico cord stump fell off but a little skin was still attactched when it happened and now every time he cries it lifts up a little and iam very concerned will it heal ok or do were need so medical treatment

ntherelng responded:
Keep an eye on it and see how it heals. Clean it with a q-tip of rubbing alcohol twice a day during diaper changes and see if it turns red or oozes. If not, it will probably heal fine. Also if it doesn't look healed, don't submerse him in bath water, but rather do sponge baths until it does heal.

nualla22 responded:
When my big guy's stump fell off it was a bit oozy. I went into the pedi for a different reason, but they put something on it to seal it off. I'm sure it's fine, but you could give a call and have the nurse reassure you!

Jennifer Shu, MD responded:
Thanks for your post. It would be best to call your doctor and describe the situation and/or have your son checked out to see if he needs any medical treatment. In general, it is common for the belly button to bleed a little bit for a few days (it should stop within a minute or two) any time it gets irritated. Red or swollen skin, pus coming from the area, and fever are signs of infection and should be reported to the doctor right away. Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.