Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
onion tea
teresalbrown posted:
My grandmother used to give us kids and our kids Onion Tea when we couldn't sleep or for upset tummy when we were babies. Anyone have any knowledge about using this? My grandson is fussy, seems to need to eat quite often, is gassy and seems to do the best when sleeping on his stomach which I now hear is a no-no. Any ideas?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Hi - I have to admit that onion tea is a new one for me :)

By any chance is your grandson somewhere in the 4 to 6 week range? This normally tends to be a very fussy, gassy time for babies. The good news is that this starts to get better as babies get closer to 8 weeks of age.

Usually tummy massage, constant motion and white noise can help calm the baby.

Tummy sleeping and co-sleeping with parents are definite no-no's since there is such a strong correlation with SIDS.

Congrats!

Dr. Dan

teresalbrown replied to Dan Brennan, MD's response:
thanks. Yes he is almost 5 weeks old. He does seem to rest better when I rub his tummy.

alaska_mommy replied to teresalbrown's response:
My pediatrician told us when our son was about 4 months old that if he slept better on his tummy, to do it.
I don't know that onion tea would be good--in my experience onions are one of the things I had to avoid eating to keep baby from being gassy (I breastfeed).
My son has had lots of tummy problems (7 months old now) and when he was littler, we were trying everything to make him feel better. What helped most was finding out he has reflux--he spit up A LOT and would fuss after spitting up--and he is now on Prevacid which helps. But he's still hard to read sometimes as to what's bothering him.
BTW: word to the wise, avoid the Rotavirus vaccine. Our son was sick for 10 days after getting it--vomiting, diarrhea, inconsolable crying, fever. And, only 30 kids die in the US per year from Rotavirus. It's more something you would need if you were traveling to a 3rd world country with bad water. Do your research and what you think is best--but we are avoiding the vaccine like the plague! LOL
Another thing to try--Colic Calm. Also Colic Tablets by Hyland's. I find the simethicone anti-gas drops do nothing for our little guy.
Is your grandson breastfed or formula? Sometimes they can have a cow's milk sensitivity--I had to cut all dairy out of my diet and saw a big improvement after 3 weeks. I also avoid tomato products (due to the acid reflux), onions, garlic, beans, broccoli/cauliflower/cabbage, and spicy foods. It's a lot, but it helps him feel better. He also can't tolerate soy. I found that I can drink goat's milk and it doesn't seem to bother him. He spits up a lot less now--before it seemed like every couple of minutes.
I've also heard that rapid let-down during nursing can make them gulp air which leads to gas if they don't burp it back up. Pumping to take the edge off the fullness helps to make a slower flow for baby.
HTH!

alaska_mommy replied to Dan Brennan, MD's response:
PS Our baby co-sleeps with us too. I have heard it actually can help prevent SIDS because the baby's breathing is regulated somewhat by mom's breathing right next to them.
I don't usually do the tummy sleeping, but if I do, I only do it while he is in bed with me. That way I know I'm right there and I can also put my arm under his head to keep it turned to the side so he can breathe.

An_204463 replied to alaska_mommy's response:
Wow.

lenono97 replied to alaska_mommy's response:
Your daughter was 4 months when your pedi told you the tummy was ok, this person's grandchild is 5 weeks, thats a big difference. At 5 weeks a baby should be put down to sleep on her back. Once a baby can roll over, if they end up on their tummy, fine, but "back to sleep" is still recommended. Co-sleeping can be risky because a child could get the tangled up in the sheets or pillows, or worse, underneath the adult. That's probably one of the things Dr. Dan was getting at. I am sorry your daughter had a back experience from a virus, but keep in mind, all children react differently to vaccines. Some are just fine, others are cranky, etc. My daughter got the rotavirus and didn't have any reaction. I am not trying to be disrespectful of your opinions, but I felt it important to also share my opinions with the original poster.

Dan Brennan, MD replied to alaska_mommy's response:
Hi Alaska-mom

To date, no one knows what causes SIDS, but we do know the rates are higher if babies co-sleep with their parents or sleep on their bellies. There is no evidence to support that it is safer - although I certainly wish there was :)

Many parents have a false sense of security when the place their child to sleep on their belly and "watch" them. SIDS is not suffocation and there is not necessarily a "struggle" - a baby may just stop breathing. A parent may not appreciate that their child has "stopped breathing" until it is too late.

From experience, SIDS is one of the most horrible things I have ever been a part of. Unfortunately many of the cases we discuss in our hospital pediatric meetings have been in babies in the 4 to 5 month range who are capable of rolling over.

Every pediatrician's hope is that a true cause will be found for SIDS and that it will have nothing to do with sleep position or location. Until we have that scientific proof, we are left with some impressive statistics that suggest that you can reduce the rate by 50% by placing your baby to sleep on his back on his own crib mattress - close to mom, but not in her bed.

I hope that helps to clarify some of the questions that have come up on this post.

Dr. Dan

alaska_mommy replied to lenono97's response:
I'm well aware that the age of the baby in the OP is 5 weeks. That's why I stated that I was told tummy was ok at 4 months. I wanted to make a point--sometimes docs seem to push the "back to sleep" so hard that you think they're supposed o sleep that way for the rest of their lives. I wanted to give the OP the reassurance that, when baby gets older, tummy sleeping is ok.

alaska_mommy replied to Dan Brennan, MD's response:
I'm well aware that SIDS is a silent death--that there's no struggle, no sign of suffocation.
I'm not as ignorant of a mom as you might think.
From what I understand, researchers think that SIDS may be a result of babies who have a decreased/absent response to rising CO2 levels in the blood. So, as they sleep, if they are rebreathing too much CO2, instead of waking up or fussing, they fall into a deeper sleep and eventually die.

As for co-sleeping, I believe there IS evidence out there, it's just not recognized by doctors/the medical community.

In addition to trusting my own instincts as a mother, I've found many articles in support of co-sleeping. For example, www.askdrsears.com has lots of good, commonsense advice about it. Interestingly enough, he is a doctor too!

An excerpt from his articles:
"Our study revealed that Lauren breathed better when sleeping next to Martha than when sleeping alone. Her breathing and her heart rate were more regular during shared sleep, and there were fewer "dips," low points in respiration and blood oxygen from stop-breathing episodes. On the night Lauren slept with Martha, there were no dips in her blood oxygen. On the night Lauren slept alone, there were 132 dips. The results were similar in a second infant, whose parents generously allowed us into their bedroom. We studied Lauren and the other infant again at five months. As expected, the physiological differences between shared and solo sleep were less pronounced at five months than at two months."
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071000.asp

I would like to see more support for mothers doing what they intuitively realize is best for THEIR child. I won't say it's best for ALL children.

MommyLuvs02 replied to alaska_mommy's response:
alaska_mommy...
It sounds like you are one against the world, well, make it 2 now. I feel that I need to share my part.

My DS1 who is almost 2 has been sleeping with my his whole life except for a few trial and errors. We started putting him in the pack-n-play bassanet because we lived in my stepdad's basement and space was a little more than tight. Well, being a new mommy, midnight feedings were EXTREMELY difficult expecially seeing as how my husband and I shared a twin bed and we had a small dog who insisted on sleeping at the foot of it no matter how many times we kicked him off,
Feeding wasn't the worst part (I Breastfed so everything was ready and waiting), but the burping was. I would lay back and lay DS1 on my chest to burp and before you knew it we were both sound asleep. I know people are gonna get on my case about this but I was always a light sleeper and became even lighter when he was born so any twitch of his arm, any coo he made, I woke up. After a few weeks of Twin bed luxury, we went out and bout a fouton and layed that out as a make shift bed (saving as much money as possible to get out of the basement). by that point, the fouton was too low to get out of without waking anyone. So, DS1 slept at my side, head on my arm. Now we're in our own place and he sleeps with me because I like being there if he has a bad dream (daddy works overnights so we get the Queen bed to me and the kids).

DS2 sleeps in the bassanet 2 feet from the bed until about his 5 or 6 oclock feeding when i dont have the energy to put him back. then he sleeps on my left while DS1 sleeps on my right.

Co-sleeping, in my opinion, is ok if you are a light sleeper. My husband will never co-sleep with the kids because he rolls alot and is a heavy sleeper where i wake up every time i move.

They both feel more secure and relaxed when they sleep with me. They're babies (and almost a todler) and they dont know if youre coming back when you leave, so it makes sense that if your not there when they wake up, they panic. Its a comfort thing and when they are old enough to understand, you will be fine to get them into their own bed,

As for the CO2 part, whenever I co-sleep with either of them , I always make sure my breath doesn't go anywhere near their mouth. I turn DS2 to his side away from me, and I point my head down when it's just DS1.

Everyone has their own opinion and no matter what, someone will debate you, just know your not alone. :D
Sorry for the novel of a post! lol
Hunter- 21 months. Blayde- Newborn.

An_204464 replied to alaska_mommy's response:
I don't think Dr. Dan was implying that anyone was ignorant. I think we was just posting the facts and was answering questions how he saw fit. I also think that he is trying to keep everyone's babies safe by providing very useful information. There was just a guy in my hometown who was a very light sleeper, and didn't move a lot at night well he laid down with his 2 month old little girl to take a nap and woke up on top of her. Unfortunately the baby did not make it. Accidents happen and its true co-sleeping is dangerous and not to mention a bad habit to break! I would never encourage my child to sleep on their tummy even at 4 months old. Some babies that is the only way they will sleep but I will always put my child on her back until I can't control it anymore! To me the numbers of how many babies get into trouble on their bellies is enough to put some fear into me!

alaska_mommy replied to MommyLuvs02's response:
Thank you MommyLuvs02! It's nice to hear from someone who doesn't think I'm crazy. My sister raised three who never saw a crib--all in the family bed. Now they are older and sleep in their own beds.
Oh, and about the CO2 thing, I don't think you have to worry about just your exhale passing over their faces. There's still a fair bit of oxygen in exhaled air. I had to look it up, but--regular room air is about 20% oxygen with tiny amounts of CO2. Exhaled air is about 16% oxygen and 4% CO2. Also, on Dr. Sears site, he says that CO2 is a respiratory stimulant, so babies sleeping face-to-face with mom get little amounts of it, and it stimulates them to keep breathing.
The only problem babies run into is where their face is trapped in something and they keep breathing and rebreathing the same air. Eventually they use up all the oxygen in it.
We do the same thing at our house as far as me sleeping with baby and my husband not. He sleeps really deeply and rolls around, sometimes throwing a hand or elbow in my face. So, baby sleeps on my outstretched arm next to me. At the beginning of the night, he sleeps in his crib, so I can get some "Mommy" time in, or snuggle time with my hubby. :)

If I didn't cosleep with my babe, I wouldn't be able to handle nighttime. DS wakes up every hour to two hours (mostly every hour tho) all night long. Naps are 45 minutes long. So, at night, if he had to sleep in his crib all night, I'd be hopping in and out of bed--not to mention I'd be hopping mad! With him next to me, I can just roll over and nurse him back to sleep, or give him the pacifier, and we can resume our peaceful slumber.

alaska_mommy replied to MommyLuvs02's response:
PS You are so right about people debating you no matter what.
All I have to do is mention something about pacifier/no pacifier, cosleep vs crib, to vaccinate or not, whether to use sunscreen or not, baby vitamins, fluoride, or breast vs. bottle. Instantly there will be a hot debate about it, no doubt.

I know the medical community has made many advances in all areas, however, babies don't live by a set of scientifically devised rules. They are living, breathing, unique individuals that require a mother's expertise, creativity, and open-mindedness. Nothing can take the place of that.

Seems to me many, many babies go on to live long, healthy lives, despite sleeping in Mommy's bed, not getting fluoride tablets, getting real sun on their skin, and sucking that pacifier until they are 4 years old.

alaska_mommy replied to An_204464's response:
The reason I said what I did about ignorance is that it seemed like the doc was making the supposition that I believed what I did about cosleeping because I did not know how SIDS worked, or about the common knowledge of why "back to sleep" is best.
I am not in the dark about any of these things. I am making informed choices on what is best for my baby. Believe me, I have done my research--I have been to the newborn care classes, I have pored over many books and websites reading up on this mommying business. And, just like every mom has to do, I weigh the options, take the advice that works for me, and toss the stuff that doesn't.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Did you know crib bumpers can be dangerous?Expert
Sure they're cute, but are they worth the potential risk? Between 1985 and 2005, 27 children under the age of 2 years died and 25 were ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.