Skip to content
can 2 brown eyed parents have a blue eyed baby?
jtools13 posted:
I'm full jewish (dark hair, brown eyes) and my wife is half jewish, half cuban (dark hair and brown eyes) our 4 month old son has blonde hair and blue eyes...uh, should I be worried?

Tiphawee responded:
it could be, depending on relatives, anyone in your family or hers w blue eyes and blonde hair? also your sons hair can turn dark later in life.. my moms parent both had dark hair but she came out w blonde and a year later it turned brown (her great grandma has blonde hair, also my moms sister has red hair because of thiers mom, mom.

ljlflorida responded:
No you shouldn't be worried.

My DH & I both have brown eyes & brown hair but our 3 & 1/2 mos old DD has very blue eyes with dark hair. I keep waiting for her eye color to change but her eyes are still a very pretty blue. The dr. and other people think they'll stay that color.

Yes, your son can have blue eyes. Just because brown is the dominant color, there is a 25% chance of your baby having blue eyes. And most likely his hair color will get darker over time.
Summer(29)DH(30)~Blessed with a beautiful baby girl on Wed. May 12th, 2010, named Soleil.

alaska_mommy responded:
I wouldn't worry. My mom and dad are both fair skinned but my sister got a throwback to the native american in our family tree, she has olive colored skin. And eye color that is different than mom's or dad's. Dark chocolate brown, mom's are a lighter brown and dad's are hazel.
So, it can happen. If there was a part of your genes that have blue and a part of your wife's that have blue those two parts can get together...LOL
Plus babies' eyes can change color up to 6 months or even a year...so it's not set in stone yet.

5ylver responded:
my cousin had blonde hair blue eyes when he was a baby idk for how long but i've see pics where he was old enough to sit up and crawl around and he had blonde hair blue eyes then. now he has brown hair and brown eyes. also just because you have brown eyes and your husband does too doesn't mean your baby will. you may possess a trait for blue eyes but brown being dominant in you so you have brown and you may have passed the blue eye trait to your baby thus if he didn't get passed the trait for brown eyes then he would not have them.. so it is possible. I'm sorry I kind of suck at explaining things lol

lisax4156 responded:
My daughter has pale/light blue eyes and neither her dad nor myself have blue eyes. He has brown eyes and I have hazel. However, if I remember correctly his sister has blue eyes and my moms father I think also have blue eyes. Blue eyes are, I believe, a recessive gene so it may jump around in the family.
33(me) 30(BF) 19(DD) 15(DS) and new baby Tristan born at 36w0d 7-14-10. 5lbs 14ozs, 18in.

jlenn responded:
No worries.

First of all, all babies are born with blue eyes. At some point during the first year of life, most babies' eye color changes. Just because your son's eyes are blue now, does not mean they will be blue a year from now. But, blue eyes are a recessive gene: this means that you might have one blue eye gene and one brown eye gene (which gives you brown eyes). But you might have passed the blue eyed gene to your son. Same with your wife. If each of you has one blue eyed gene, you could have each passed it along to your son.

As for the hair, again, many babies are born with a hair color at birth that changes over time. I had blonde hair for a full 2 or 3 years (I've seen the pictures!) and now my hair is dark brown. And anyway, as with the blue eyes, blond hair is a recessive trait. You and your wife might each have blond hair genes in you without having blond hair.

andprice responded:
My 8 year old has blue eyes, neither I nor my husband have blue eyes. If you have no other reason to think your wife was unfaithful...I wouldn't give it another second of thought.

Eye and hair color can change dramatically over time. Try to put it out of your mind.

iiicrazycats responded:
yep. agree w all the other posters. not anything to worry about right now. most babies are born with blue eyes which could change to dark chocolate brown over the first 1-2 yrs. blue eyes are becoming more and more common as people of different ethnicities marry and have children together. scientists once thought that eye color was determined by simple dominant-recessive relationships but more current research has shown that it's far more complicated than that. same with the hair color. both my husband and i were toe-headed (white-blond) as children and now have dark auburn hair.

atank0429 replied to iiicrazycats's response:
me and my husband have brown eyes and our 4 month old has blue eyes.

JMomma1 replied to jlenn's response:
i just wanted to point out, NOT ALL babies are born with blue eyes. both my chldren were born with dark brown eyes.

pattytrain responded:
All our lives, 2 out of 4 siblings have wondered about sister s that there were some 1/2 sibs out there somwhere. Dad was quite the drinker & very jolly with women.
Have seemed to learn tho that its entirely possibble, as blue is recessive to brown."Marie", as both parents are drk brown eyes and nearly black hair.
My parents had a "friend" RED L. who would come over when dad wasnt home & chase mom around the house.
3 of us have dark brown wavy hair & arie has very curly strawberry blond hair & blue eyes.
Now that both parents are deceased, I decided to check, as we have heard thru the year

mtlmayhem responded:
i wouldnt worry just yet!... it could be just recessive genes coming into play.... both my husband and I are of mixed heritage with olive skin and brown eyes and DS1 had the bluest eyes and lighter hair at birth- hes now 2 and they have turned steel grey... BUT my maternal grandfather had blue eyes, and my mom has the exact same hair colour as DS1.

and my DS2, just born in September has black hair and green-brown eyes!

check this chart out!!! its a baby eye colour predictor... if both parents have brown eyes, the baby still has a 6.25 percent chance of having blue eyes!

http://www.docshop.com/2008/01/04/what-color-will-my-babys-eyes-be
Andi, Pete, Donovan (08-13-2008)

Sigma3rc74 responded:
LOL! Don't worry! If you both had blue eyes and had a brown eyed child, then worry.
There are two "flavors" of each eye color gene that we each carry. So, you and/or your wife could have a brown/green or a brown/blue gene and that would have produced your blue eyed child.
Here's a fun little tool you can play with:
http://museum.thetech.org/ugenetics/eyeCalc/eyecalculator.html

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.