Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Expert Advice Needed PLZ!!!!!!!!!! FF baby refuses to drink milk when awake
lamireh2005 posted:
my daughter is 5 months old. Since she was 3 months she fights when I or anyone gives her a bottle. She will only take a bottle when she is almost ready to sleep o asleep. The pedi says as long as she is getting 24oz of formula a day and is gaining weight there is nothing to worry about! Its making me crazy bc i dont know how to get her to take a bottle while she is awake. Any advice?

alaska_mommy responded:
Maybe reflux? Mine is on reflux meds but still takes a bottle better when half asleep. When awake he drinks maybe 3 oz (he's 8 months old) at a time and then just chews on the nipple. He's even on hypoallergenic formula.
How much does she take during the night?
I might get a second opinion if I were you...usually babies want to eat! Is she gaining ok like she should? How much does she weigh?

lamireh2005 replied to alaska_mommy's response:
I dont think its reflux. The doc has checked her and so has another doc and they say there is nothing what so ever wrong with her. I have been researching online and thought it could be an ear infection but that is also a no. So I am left wondering what is wrong with her. She is gaining weight pretty good. She takes about 4 or 5 4oz bottles during the day when she is sleeping at different times of the day and at night she has 2 to 3 feedings of 4oz of Similac Advance. She was 5 pounds 7 oz when she was born and now she weighs 14 pounds 3 oz.

alaska_mommy replied to lamireh2005's response:
Dang IDK. Babies are so hard to figure out. Mine has started this crying routing in the middle of the night and I wish someone could tell me what's wrong with him.

Jennifer Shu, MD responded:
This is a common problem I see in babies who breastfeed but much less common in formula-fed ones! It often stems from a habit or preference; maybe your baby now associates her bottle with sleep and her hunger occurs at that time instead of after waking up. At 5 months old, your baby may be ready to start practicing with a sippy cup if she refuses the bottle. She may also be able to get some of her nutrition from baby foods. In general, if a baby is growing and developing (rolling over, smiling, laughing, for example at this age), she is probably getting enough nutrition. Good luck!

Aliyali responded:
Hi I was searching online and came across your post. I'm going thru the same thing with my 4.5 mth old son right now and im a bit concerned. Docs say he's fine. His weight gain is ok, he just doesn't drink when awake. Did your baby's issue resolve on its own or did you find out what it was? I would appreciate your help. thanks!

Levi6 replied to Aliyali's response:
I'm wondering the same thing my guy is 5 months and only eats while a sleep it's so hard im lucky to get 15 ounces down him a day

HOUSGIRL replied to lamireh2005's response:
Hi, i am going through the same thing with my daughter and i am wondering if you figured out by now what was the reason? please help!!!!
thanks1

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Crib Safety Tips
CRIB SAFETY TIPS if you have a used crib or are considering buying one: Make sure it has no corner posts. older infants can catch ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.