Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Concerned about xray 2 month old received
An_204489 posted:
At 2 months old my son broke out in hives and had a fever, he had a CBC that indicated a slightly higher level of white cells, given his young age they were concerned it could be serious so he was admitted to the hospital. In the hospital they ran many tests...one of which was a 2 view chest x-ray. After two days he tested negative for everything so they concluded that the infection was viral (nothing serious) and the hives turned out to be a milk allergy. Now that that ordeal is over I can help but worry that he was exposed to radiation during the chest xray, now I am worried about his risk of getting cancer like leukemia or something...maybe I'm just being a paranoid 1st time mom, but I am looking for someone to ease my fears.I guess what I want to hear is that there are parents out there who have older children who had xrays in the first year of life and had no negative effects years later.

Thank you in advance for any responses...until then
-Worried Mommy

Take the Poll

Do you think it is safe for young children to receive x-rays?
  • yes
  • no
vote
View Poll Results

JMomma1 responded:
my son at eight months had an xray on his neck/head. hes four now,and no side effects or adverse effects.

Blondi208 responded:
X-rays are safe. It is one of the radiology tests with the least amount of radiation exposure.

j9ween2 responded:
my middle kid had chest x-rays the week of her 1st b-day. She is a normal 3 year old
Janine (Tyler -5, Bella -3, and Giana -5 months)

Jennifer Shu, MD responded:
This is a great question. When a child is exposed to radiation, one must consider the risks and benefits involved in the child's situation. When a young baby has a fever, it can mean that there is a serious illness that needs immediate treatment. A chest X-ray can be helpful to decide what treatment, if any, the child needs. Since a person's total exposure to radiation is what may determine the risk of cancer in the future, it can be helpful to ask if X-rays are definitely needed each time a doctor recommends one. Good luck!

Enrie30 replied to Jennifer Shu, MD's response:
Hi Dr. I just wanna ask a question.. it is posible that my should take the 2nd xray chest the 1st was he was 2months old and now he was 4 months? because he have cought and the dr said he was breathing faster so the dr said should take xray so that we find out that if my baby has anemic? Thanks. Godbless

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.