Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
bath?
5ylver posted:
just wondering how often you guys bathe your little ones and how old they are. I remember someone a wile back on a post mentioned that they bathe their LO once a week as recommended by their pediatrician since babies don't do anything really to get dirty and i went with that one but then i noticed dirt at the bottom of my bath a couple days ago when i had drained it. idk how that happened, she doesn't play in the dirt i mean she's only under 3 months old lol I bathe her every 2 or 3 days. I'm beginning to think I shoul bathe her daily because even though she may not be playing or doing anything active to get dirty, she IS a baby and of couse babies get dirty if not dirtier than adults (spit up, sitting on her own poop/pee until she's changed) but idk. I want some opinions here.

Also, how long do you bathe them. my daughter loves bath now and last night cried when I lifted her out so I sat her back down in it for a bit and she got quiet lol. her skin became wrinkly and I got her out. normally she's not in there that long, especially not long enough to wrinkle that was the first time. Is it ok that she stayed in the bath that long? I don't intend on bathing her that long again I just hope I didn't do anything wrong to her last night by bathing her that long and her delicate skin wrinkling. now I just sound paranoid don't I? lol
FirstPrevious12NextLast

astzt1027 responded:
I bath my little guy once or two a week. My otherwise wonderful MIL will comment if she smells milk in his hair after a spit-up incident. :)

He loves his bath, but we tend to keep him in there only about 10 minutes or so because my DH is very nervous. I am working towards bathtime being a daddy/son event, so I am really just providing moral support and the shampooing of his hair.

j9ween2 responded:
DD2 gets a bath once or twice a week. She enjoys it, she's probably in there about 10 minutes. The big thing will be once winter starts and it starts drying out their skin.
Janine (Tyler -5, Bella -3, and Giana -5 months)

megbrubaker responded:
We bathe every other day. Harper is 3 months old and boston is a little over 2 years old. I use to bathe Boston every night when he was a baby, it was part of our bathtime routine. But now we do every other night or unless they got really dirty (aka Boston got really dirty).

blufaerie responded:
i bathe my little man every nite, not because he's dirty (although his boy parts do tend to not smell very good). but because he loves it. its part of our nightly bedtime routine.and i usually leave him in for about 10 mins.

occasionally if he is screaming really bad and i can't find anything else to calm him down, i'll put him in the bath and it calms him down immediately.

when did you have your lo 5ylver? i remember your from the 3rd trimester board.

kefdc replied to blufaerie's response:
I'm the same as Bluefaerie, nightly. Calming and part of the nightime routine. He is 4 months old and loves it. When he had colic during the witching hour this was 20 min of quiet! Yesterday, we took him swimming for the first time in a pool---didn't cry at all, loved it. We're thinking about swimming immersion classes now. I really credit the bath to making him comfortable with being in the water.

FYI, it took awhile for him to like the bath--a week or so. Has to be full and in a newborn sling that our bathtub has so that I don't hold him (I'm of course right there). He still hates shampooing.

MizLeah replied to kefdc's response:
mmm.... I am a first time mom so maybe I am wrong on this but I give my LO a bath every night if not sometimes twice a day. I always butter her up really good so I have never had probelms with dry skin etc. Our nightly routine when I get out of work is to give her a bath or shower, a story and then bed. If she seems a little stinky or even if she is just awake I like to give her a little rinse in the shower with me before I leave to work. :) Alina is 3 months old and does not really get dirty but just the thought of her being in her pee/poop makes me feel as though she needs to be bathe daily. She also really enjoys bath time, my daughter is a fish. :)

5ylver replied to blufaerie's response:
i had her june 16th. she was 8 pounds 10 oz 20.5 inches long how about you? i remember you also :)

lisax4156 replied to 5ylver's response:
Since my son is will be 8 wks in a cpl days, I'm bathing him every other 2 days. He gets a bath 2-3 times a week, depending on whether he peed all over himself or not. He does that frequently. He likes aiming for his face :/

Once he gets a bit older, he'll get a bath prob. every other day.

At his age, he's not in the bath very long, just long enough to be bathed. He'll go in it longer when he gets older. I bathe him in the sink with a foam mat thing.

Lisa
33(me) 30(BF) 19(DD) 15(DS) and new baby Tristan born at 36w0d 7-14-10. 5lbs 14ozs, 18in. 2wks: 6lbs 6ozs. 6wks: 10 1/2 lbs. 21in.

Anmar22 responded:
I bath Eva every other day and have since she was born. When she was smaller I only took long enough to wash her so about 5-10 minutes. Now that she's older (8 months) she can sit up by herself and play with a few toys so I'll leave her in until she's ready to get out which is usually after I shampoo because she hates that.

happymoe responded:
We were told to bathe daily to keep cradle cap away and to create a routine. Our LO is 5 1/2 weeks now. We use a mesh screen support in one of those white baby tubs. She's only in there long enough to wash her from head to toe and a good rinse. She seems to settle nicely after the bath, but still cries during. Hopefully as she gets a little older it can become a happier time.

alaska_mommy replied to happymoe's response:
That's funny how everybody thinks differently about how often to bathe. The nurses at my hospital said not to bathe him too often, that it dries out his skin. I bathe him usually twice a week and he's 8 months old. I have started just bringing him in the shower with me and with the water on lukewarm, bathe him real quick-like after I'm done with my shower. We don't have a bathtub, just a shower stall. I have an infant tub but he's getting just a little big for it, and the shower is easier and he doesn't seem to mind it.

alaska_mommy replied to happymoe's response:
I'm sure she will like it more as she gets older.
Awhile back I started singing a little song to tell my LO that it was time for a bath, I sing "bathtime baby, bathtime baby, we're going to bathe you now," to the tune of "Goodnight ladies, I'm going to leave you now." (Whatever the title of that song is!) :)
Anyway, if you try to make it a fun time, songs/toys/whatever, eventually she should start to enjoy herself. Or you could get in the grown-up tub with her on your chest or something and bathe her that way. Lots of kids hate getting washed up, though, so not a big deal if she's not a big fan.

blufaerie replied to 5ylver's response:
Wow, she was a big girl! Daxton was born june 25th, he was 8lbs even and 20.5in long.

5ylver replied to blufaerie's response:
she has daddy's head lol but still a cutie!!! congrats on your boy

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.