Skip to content
Umbili. cord?
dms12293 posted:
JAS is 8 days old and his umbilical cord stump has started to look all crusty and nasty. If we move it slightly away in any direction we can see underneath it, and it looks gooey like it did at birth. It's crusty around the edges and looks like it's scabbing over, all around it.

Is this normal or do we need to go to the hospital?

It just started looking like that early this morning...

Help?!
Me(17), JDS(21Daddy), JAS(6 days)

alaska_mommy responded:
I would call your doctor's office and ask...it doesn't sound normal to me, I think they might want to have a look at it. I think by this time it should be nice and dried out, not gooey.
GL!

margolcia responded:
I agree with PP, by 8 days it should be dry, I hope it is not infected. Definetely give your doctor a call. My doughter's stump fell by the 8th day. do not worry just call your doctor.

lisax4156 responded:
My sons was sorta like this. It's not yet 'dry' underneath like it is on top. They wont fall off till 2-3 weeks. Are you using a q tip and some rubbing alcohol to help dry the stump? This dries it out a bit faster. I just went around the base of the stump and cleaned it a bit.
33(me) 30(BF) 19(DD) 15(DS) and new baby Tristan born at 36w0d 7-14-10. 5lbs 14ozs, 18in. 2wks: 6lbs 6ozs. 6wks: 10 1/2 lbs. 21in.

happymoe responded:
That sounds just like our daughter's. I had a check up at 10 days, and it was starting to come loose around the edges and looking all browny/red gooey around the edges. It was even coming off on the inside of the sleeper and making a mess. Our doctor said this was normal, but she said to start using diluted rubbing alcohol to clean it twice a day, using a q-tip to really get in there and rimming it. Then apply some polysporin cream. We did that, and the stump fell off the next day and was healed beautifuly withnin 2 weeks.

Isylya responded:
Yes. My little man is only 4 days old and his is already starting to come off. It's very crusty near the top and gooey and "pussy" near the bottom...it also smells like rotting flesh! *eww*

I took him to the doctor already, they said this was completely normal and to just start putting alcohol on it. That did the trick.
I used the q-tips to remove a lot of the pussy stuff and it's just barely hanging on now and it doesn't stink anymore.

Which is weird, the hospital told us not to use any alcohol on it. But, his doctor said to definitely use it. *shrug*

alaska_mommy replied to Isylya's response:
Yep it seems like there's always conflicting advice when it comes to babies! LOL

dms12293 responded:
The stump fell off three days ago and is healing beautifully. There's a little itty bitty piece still attached but I'm not about to just gank it off him, it's gotten smaller already.

Anyone else notice that it looks kinda funny once it falls off?

Like a hole...

Heh.
Me(17), JDS(21Daddy), JAS(6 days)

happymoe responded:
It looked funny to me too. It was pink around the edges and then had a firm white pokey outie part in the middle. (terrible description I know). I thought it might be raw and painful, but she didn't seem to be bothered by it. I changed her sleeper at least 3 times a day to keep the fabric clean against it, and kept her diapers folded down. I kept up the diluted rubbing alcohol and the polysporin cream twice daily, and it slowly healed in from the edges. She has a beautiful "innie" now. =)

The nurses at the hospital and public health unit both said just water to clean it, but her Doctor said we needed to clean it with some alcohol cause it was getting mucky.

So many different opinions......

iiicrazycats responded:
this sounds exactly like my DD's cord stump. when i took her home, they told me not to do anything to it at all (unlike w/ DS where they told me to swab it w/ alcohol 2x/day). so i didn't. right about 8 or 9 days most of it fell off and left a pink/oozy wound like you're describing.

i had my MW take a look at it at 2w and she said it looked normal to her. the next day was DD's pedi visit and she said the same. both said i didn't need to do anything for it. regardless, i put neosporin on it 2x/day for about 3 days and it cleared up. i just couldn't see letting it look all nasty if i could help it clear up quickly. hth & good luck.
Jenn(34) ~ Chris (35) ~ Simon (6) ~ Ravyn (3mos)

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.