Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bottomless Pit?
happymoe posted:
My baby girl Rachel Emma is 8w2d today. She was a full 2 weeks overdue and I had her by c-section after a very long drawn out induction. She took to breastfeeding well, and has only had ready to use formula 3 times. Once in the hospital because my milk hadn't dropped yet, at 8 days because I went to emerg with bronchitis (but was only gone for a few hours and she BF when I got home again) and one night when she just wouldn't quit freaking after totally draining me and was still hungry.

I started pumping with a manual pump at about 4 weeks, about 3 oz three to four times a week in the mornings. I've been using these servings to try to appease her at night if she drains me.

For the last 3 or so weeks, she feeds well in the morning and afternoon. About supper time, she starts fussing literally every 1/2 hour until I can finally get her into her crib asleep. The great thing about this cluster feeding is she has started sleeping upwards of 7-9 hours in a row. The downside is I don't usually have enough left by bedtime to make her full to go to sleep. It's very frustrating and I have to make sure I pump in the morning to have a bottle for night.

In the last 3 weeks, I've weighed her twice. She gained 9.5oz in 8 days, then 10oz in 6 days. She's obviously not starving, even though at times she thinks she's wasting away.

I figured it was a growth spurt at 6 weeks, but she's still in it if it was. Is anyone else having troubles with their milk not ramping up with their babies appetite?

lisax4156 responded:
Yeah... With my 1st son, I didn't produce enough milk on my own, so every other feeding had to be supplemented with formula. It does happen, and it sucks. I do know now that there are drugs you can take to ramp up your milk production, but I didn't know about it back then. I don't think I would have taken any drugs anyhow. Plus, you can only take them for 3 mos, so it's not really worth it.

Babies will go through growth spurts about every 2 weeks up until they're about 3 mos.

I stopped BFing when he started biting my nipples, then laughing about it when I reacted from the pain. This was when he was about 6 mos old. A couple times, he even drew blood. That's when I called it quits.
33(me) 30(BF) 19(DD) 15(DS) and new baby Tristan born at 36w0d 7-14-10. 5lbs 14ozs, 18in. 2wks: 6lbs 6ozs. 6wks: 10 1/2 lbs. 21in.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Did you know crib bumpers can be dangerous?Expert
Sure they're cute, but are they worth the potential risk? Between 1985 and 2005, 27 children under the age of 2 years died and 25 were ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.