Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
inconsolable crying when tired/won't sleep
Brianna914 posted:
My 4 month old daughter tends to be fussy in the evening (I know this is normal) however at anytime of the day if she is OVER tired she simply refuses to sleep. SHe will not nurse, she will not take a bottle, binky, OR comforting cuddles from mommy or daddy! I have to put her in her swing and walk away for fear of losing my sanity! I cry and cry wither her when this happens!

Tonight she had a great night. She fell asleep like she normally does after some normal fussing. BUT she woke up just as i left for work, My husband said she was screaming but obviously tired after i left. Now she is crying on and off in her swing (she sleeps in her swing because the movement comforts her.) I cannot stand leaving her like that! But I NEED to work!

Is this behavior normal or could thre be something wrong? She did this the other day when she woke up during her normal nap time but after sleeping only 40 minutes when she normally sleeps at least 1 1/2 hrs. I get so full of anxiety when this happens and i have to be here at work. Should I just take it with a grain of salt and assume she is just fighting sleep?? I just feel like she is so sad when I'm not there.....Help! Thanks in advance!

Take the Poll

CRY IT OUT???
  • Most of the time
  • Some of the time
  • Depends on the situation
  • Rarely
  • NEVER
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

ClosetRocker responded:
Usually when Melrose (DD) cries it's because she's either

~Hungry
~Sleepy
~Cold
~Wants to be held
~Hot
~Gassy

If we have went through that "checklist" and there are no other obvious signs of discomfort we will let her cry it out. I hate the whole cry it out technique though because I never feel like we're doing it right, ya know? Usually when we let her cry for more than 10 minutes she will immediately stop when we pick her back up. The exception is at night when we want her to be able to put herself to sleep, we will let her cry it out without picking her up. Sometimes baby get is pissy moods (just like adults) and they just want to fuss.

ClosetRocker replied to ClosetRocker's response:
  • *oops probably should have proof read**

Sometimes babies get IN pissy moods
  •  
    Brianna914 replied to ClosetRocker's response:
    Thank u for ur reply. It helps to know that I'm not the only one who feels that I am just not doing it right! I never let her cry it out unless I am getting pissed off! Then I am only going to upset her more. Even then she continues to cry until I calm down enough to pick her up again. She never really cried herself to sleep. But that may be because I never try to let her fall asleep that way. I usually put her down in her swing after she's fast asleep. THats the only way she'll go down without a fight! My son was NOT this fussy! Grrrr

Milu09 replied to Brianna914's response:
    My son is now 12 weeks old and he used to get cranky and cry on and off during the day. He looked visibly tired but will not nap at all. I started putting him on his crib to nap at the same times everyday before he showed any signs of being tired and that has helped a lot. He only takes 1 hour naps but he is a happier baby now. I read that if you wait until the baby is too tired he or she will have a hard time relaxing and will not sleep well.
    Maybe your baby is having the same problem. Good luck!

ClosetRocker replied to Brianna914's response:
    You're like my hubby, he only lets her cry if he is fed up lol. My daughter spent like 2 whole weeks of her life in her swing, OMG I felt so bad but it was the only way that we could get some sleep. We were buying batteries every other day lol. Milu has good advice too! My pedi told me the same thing.

Brianna914 replied to ClosetRocker's response:
    Lol, ur daughter spent 2 weeks?? My daughter has spent everynight since about 6 weeks old in her swing! I even put her there when I'm "fed up!" I was seriously addicted to rocking when I was younger, even as old as 19-20 years old! I would sit in a recliner or even just on my bed and rock and listen to music. I thought and still do think that it is pretty weird, BUT it always calmed me down no matter what was wrong. And if I wasn't upset about anything it was just something to pass the time. I know WEIRDO. I'm kind of assuming I passed on that weirdo gene to my daughter....bummer. She really can only fall asleep in that darn swing!

ClosetRocker replied to Brianna914's response:
    LMBO! I rock my legs to relax so maybe I'm joining in with the weirdo's too Does the swing take batteries?? Man, it was sooo expensive when Melrose was sleeping in her swing but it was definitely a God send. The very first night that she slept in her swing was an accident and I felt super bad.... I fell asleep on her crying and when I woke up she was sound asleep in the swing and I'm like "hey this works, but I wonder if she'll get seasick or something from being in there for that long." Oh, the joys of motherhood

Anmar22 responded:
    I would say if your baby falls asleep in her swing, consider yourself lucky. My DD never liked her swing even as a tiny baby. She would cry if we put her in for more than 10 mintues. Maybe we just held her too much as a newborn. Now she's 9 months, we still hold her until she falls to sleep and she is fighting and kicking and pulling hair the whole time. I see the swing sitting unused in the corner and I'm so tempted to pull it out and see what would happen. I want to have her cry it out, I tried it once last week and DH came to her rescue after 5 minutes.

Brianna914 replied to Anmar22's response:
    BUMPITY BUMP BUMP.....anyone else use a swing all night for their LO???

UKbluegirl2 replied to Brianna914's response:
    Sorry my DD has been in her crib since she came home. I think you may need to start looking into some 'sleep training' books. There are various suggestions out there of degrees of CIO.

But it sounds like your baby has developed a habit. So it may be tougher to get her to sleep on her own.

GL!!

lisax4156 responded:
    My son gets like thsi when he's tired. He's almost 12 weeks old. When he cries, I just put him in his swing as he becomes inconsolible. If he continues to cry, I let him cry for a few mins before getting him. If picking him up doesn't work, he goes back into his swing where he'll stay. Usually, he'll go to sleep. Once he goes to sleep, after about 30 mins, I'll put him in his crib where he'll stay and take a nap or go to bed for the night.

He's been a cry baby ever since birth. All he does is cry. It can get frustrating at times. Sometimes, letting him cry it out works. He's learning that we're just going to let him cry, so he stops after 5-10 mins. He's rarely not crying. Lately, he's learned to scream. Not cry.. SCREAM! ugh.. I hope he grows out of this. I'm sick and tired of all the crying he's doing.

Lisa
    33(me) 30(BF) 19(DD) 15(DS) and new baby Tristan born at 36w0d 7-14-10. 5lbs 14ozs, 18in. 2wks: 6lbs 6ozs. 6wks: 10 1/2 lbs. 21in.

aloftin2787 replied to Brianna914's response:
    Yes I used a swing every night for about 2 months the only way my son would go to sleep at night. I thought I was the only one. Now he sleeps in his bed, but we have to rock him to sleep every night and he is 8 months old now.

Larich_408 responded:
    Really? I'm the only one who put "most of the time?" lol. I guess it depends on the age. I have done CIO with both kids with great success. Both of them are and have always been wonderful sleepers.

I wait until they are old enough to soothe themselves to sleep. It depends on the child.. but my son was 6 months and DD was 5 months. I always make sure that I put DD to bed very sleepy but awake. She nurses right before bed but she doesn't nurse herself to sleep. I stopped letting her do that at 5 months old. She is 8 months now and besides the occasional bouts of teething, she sleeps well. She still cries herself to sleep half of the time.. it usually lasts a minute or 2. I don't let her CIO in the middle of the night tho- I think she's still too young for that.

Brianna914 replied to Larich_408's response:
    When I say "cry-it-out" I am talking about babies that scream for long periods of time before eventually falling asleep. If my daughter fell asleep after crying for a minute or two I would have NO problem with that. Unfortunately, he cries get longer, and harder as time passes.......*sigh*

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Did you know crib bumpers can be dangerous?Expert
    Sure they're cute, but are they worth the potential risk? Between 1985 and 2005, 27 children under the age of 2 years died and 25 were ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    32 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
    Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.