Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
FLu vaccine at 6 months
island_baby posted:
anyone given their 6 month old the flu vaccine this flu season yet. My 6 1/2 month old has not gotton his yet, but the pedi's office says that they recommend to all infants 6 month an older regardless if they are in daycare or not. My LO is not in daycare, but we go places like the grocery store. I am going to get the vaccine and I asked his nanny to and I am making my husband get his too.

Any advise? Is there any risks to getting it?

UKbluegirl2 responded:
There are always risks. But IMO do what your doctor suggests. If you don't trust your pedi, find a new one. My thought on this is, I didn't go to medical school, my pedi did. I trust him to make the most well educated decisions for my children's overall health.

The flu can very easily kill a 6 month old; not to scare you but it's true. My daughter got her 1st dose at 7 months. She has had no side effects. She will get her 2nd dose next month.

Our entire family is vaccinated. My DH got a mild version of the flu earlier this week. He was VERY ill and it only lasted a few days. I can only imagine if he were not vaccinated.

kefdc responded:
Per PP, weigh the risks and benefits with your dr. Only he/she knows the medical history and potential interactions. Consider your situation as well--even though there is homecare does your nanny take your LO to playgroups? Thats how my DS got his first cold. Put him on surfaces outside the home--park benches, playgrounds, etc)? Do you take your LO to others houses for socializing?

We've all got it and I've paid for our nanny to get one. But that was our decision. My LO LOVES to be out and about and I'd like to keep that up without risk. ..personal choice.

BNWilson3 responded:
My 6 month old got her Flu shot at her 6 month Well visit. Working at a medical clinic I feel that it is important for my Lo and I to get the shot (my husband chooses not to get it). The benefits of getting the shot always outweigh the risk. That's just my opinion! She had no side effects and barely cried.

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Hi there - thanks for posting this excellent question! This is great time to get a flu shot for your baby. This season, the flu vaccine is being recommended for all individuals 6 months and older.

For children under 9 yrs old who have not received a flu vaccine before, it is recommended that they receive two doses (1 month apart) in order to have maximum immunity this season. The sooner you get the first round, the sooner you can get the second

The flu vaccine won't prevent you from getting sick with the common cold or stomach flus, but it can provide up to 80-90% protection against Influenza which is a virus responsible for many deaths and hospitalizations each winter season.

Side effects are minimal - possibly some redness or soreness at the site or a mild fever for a day. The injectable flu vaccine is made from a killed virus, so there is no chance of your baby catching the flu from the flu vaccine.

I hope some of this information is helpful. Your peds should be able help answer your questions as well. I always remind my families that the more close contacts who receive the flu vaccine, the better insulated from the flu their baby will be.

Dr. Dan

proinfo responded:
I would be happy to send you a power point presentation on the risks and benefits of vaccination using history, evidence-based science and the governments own documents. Contact me at jondavid62@ymail.com

proinfo replied to Dan Brennan, MD's response:
Dear Dr. Dan,

You should be interested in the power point presentation as well. It is thorough and complete, all work is cited. Risks versus Benefits are documented by history, evidence-based science and the governments own documents and studies. Please contact me at jondavid62@ymail.com

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.