Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Formula Troubles
Dadisme posted:
We have been having a ton of trouble getting our son the right formula and thanks to our hmo we never see the same doctor twice and always family care since all the pediatritians are booked solid. When our son was born one month ago he was started on Similac. After 2 weeks he started throwing up after every feeding and having diahrea. Doctor number one said it was lactose so we switched to Enfamil Soy formula. Throwing up stopped, constipation in the form of many bowel movements that result in 3-4 rabbit pellet type stools each time and he still spit up and whined when he did. Doctor two said he had reflux not lactose intolerance and put him on meds and said to go to a low iron formula. Well i've read low iron formulas (which i can't even find) are bad so we put him back on milk based Enfamil. The diahrea and throwing up began again. We are thinking lactose is definitly out but have read soy is also bad. We also would perfer to not have the constipation and rabbit turds since it causes him discomfort. Any ideas would be welcome. I am about to pay a pediatritian out of pocket I think.

ForeverHisWife responded:
I am not a dr. and I am also a new mom so I dont have much expearence under my belt but I remember when my brothers were born they were on a formula called Enfamil Neutromigen (sp check?). They were always spiting up formula and for the most part did ok with this but they were also premie so they had a hard time with formula in general. I have also read that it is not good to keep switching baby formula cause it makes their tummies upset. IMO I would try and find a new pediatritian. Family Care doctors see all patients. My OB wasnt an "OB" she was a family dr. and saw me through my whole pregnancy but she didnt deliver me the actual OB in my doctors office did but anyway I would talk to your doctor's office and see what is up. GL.

Ps: Enfamil Neutromigen is very expensive so make sure he needs to be on that before you purchase it.

attleysmom responded:
It isn't lactose at this age it is the proteins in milk.

My DD had a milk soy protein intolerance and had to go on Nutramigen. It worked well for her. The good thing is they usually outgrow it and by 9 months we were able to mix the Nutramigen with Gentlease (proteins already partially broken down) and eventually get her off Nutramigen completely. We were extra cautious though and waited until 9 months. The pedi said we could start adding Gentlease in at 6 months.

It is expensive so you may want to try a week or 2 of straight Nutramigen to see if it helps and then try start adding an ounce or so of Gentlease. If that works for a week or so, try 2 ounces, and keep going up.

You could also see if your doctor would write a prescription for Nutramigen to get the insurance to pay for it.

GL.

jnamom81 responded:
My daugher was on Enfamil GentleEase. Its not Soy but its Lactose free. You may want to try that. She couldn't handle my breastmilk, so I put her on that and she had no problems. Hope he gets better soon!

FrmGirl responded:
My ds also is on Enfamil GentleEase. He was always fussy and we had to give him mylicon before his bottle, in his bottle and after his bottle. Once we switched to GentleEase he has been totally different. I don't know about the diahrrea and constipation, though. My nephew had to take the nutramagin b/c he had lactose problems. However, my sil kept switching formula every 2 days so we don't know if that was it or not.
Anyway...he was weened off the nutramagin to regular formula at 9 months and now he can have milk. So...hopefully it will work out for you. I agree with the pp...my pedi said if we switched formulas to not switch again for at least 5 days to give his body time to get used to it. HTH and GL!!!
Hannah(28)DH(26) M/C 2007(early) Early delivery 2008 (23wks) Jude: May 21, 2008 - May 31, 2008; Gabriel: (adopted) Feb 2010.

Jennifer Shu, MD responded:
If you can't get in to see a pediatrician, see if you can at least talk to one or a pediatric nurse by phone for advice. Powdered formulas tend to cause the firmest stool while concentrates make them softer so simply changing the type you use may help. Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.