Skip to content
Any thoughts about fenugreek...?
Cat006 posted:
recently someone told me if I am having trouble keeping up with my infants demand to try using fenugreek and that would increase my milk supply. Not sure how safe it is or if its even effective. What will it do to baby? Has anyone tried this, or have any opinions about this? THANKS!

phoenix31674 responded:
I have no experience, but from what I've read in other posts, lactation consultants recommend it and many of the women in the breastfeeding community have used it. Given LCs and even pediatricians recommend it, I would say it's safe.

cyberkat99 responded:
Our daughter's pediatrician recommended this to me because I was having the same problem. She used it with her daughter too. Unfortunately it doesn't work for everyone, which was my case, but she said when it does work, it works really well. So, it's worth a shot, and yes it's safe.

happymoe responded:
I was having trouble at night, she'd drain me and wouldn't go to sleep without some more. I used "milkmaid's tea" which has fenugreek, but of course they flavored it with fennel. I'm not a big black licorice fan. =( Once I was done the tea I started just straight fenugreek capsues. I ony did the tea for a week and the capusules for about 5 days. Since that I seem to have a better supply. The only thing that I found bad was the burps for about 3-4 hours after taking the capsule. I tried with and without food, it still tasted terrible either way.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.