Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Baby's nipples are enlarged and hard
An_204554 posted:
The pediatrician said that it is likely the levels of hormones in mother's milk, but he wanted to check on it in another month because it was outside the norm. This is our fourth child so I know it is not a normal amount of breast swelling and that is not soft or rubbery but more hard to the touch. I don't see a corrolation between sensitivity to the touch but I am wondering if there are any dietary factors that may be contributing?? caffine? low vitamin D? .... anyone with any experience on this?

JessHeath responded:
Not hard per se but my baby boy was lactating. I think its normal, maybe more hormones than you had with the other kids.

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Here is a great review on the topic of newborn breast buds:

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/your-newborn-baby-breast-lumps

The hormone exposure is felt to take place in utero before the baby is born and is probably not related to breastfeeding or what you are eating.

Congrats on the new baby!

Dr. Dan

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Did you know crib bumpers can be dangerous?Expert
Sure they're cute, but are they worth the potential risk? Between 1985 and 2005, 27 children under the age of 2 years died and 25 were ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.