Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Nursing issues
JessHeath posted:
Nursing issues could be a whole forum! Anyway, my very hungry baby boy will latch on, but then falls asleep in like 5 minutes. If I want him to eat enough, I have to feed him a pumped bottle. Thats okay but I would rather have him breastfeed. Like tomorrow, we are going on a trip and I won't be able to pump for most of the day so I have to breastfeed him. It like he uses me as a pacifier. Its very sweet, but I want him to do his business and then he can fall asleep. Any ideas? I do sort of pump his arms because that helps a little, but sometimes it doesn't matter how much I mess with him. Should I try a washcloth on his forehead or something? How do I keep him alert?

j9ween2 responded:
have you tried to give him a pacifier instead of to the breast? how often is he eating? I would do everything in your power to hold him off for 3 hours so that he eats
Janine (Tyler -5, Bella -3, and Giana -8 months born 8 weeks early)

michelleloehr replied to j9ween2's response:
this will be a little in convient out and about but when dd falls asleep at the breast after a short period of time, i remove her and try to burp her and then i switch sides. if she's really hungry this wakes her up and she eats. if she falls asleep on the second breast quickly she gets a paci and i hold her like we are feeding

momtobegrunden responded:
There are a few tricks you can do. Try stripping him down to his diaper for feedings. The coolness will keep him awake. Bug the heck out of him. I had to continuously tickle my LO to keep him awake. Tickling feet especially helps! You can rub a cool washcloth over his skin, too. Whenever my LO fell asleep, I'd take him off and change his diaper to wake him up.

PS-There is a breastfeeding board on here! Here's the link:

http://exchanges.webmd.com/breastfeeding-support-group-exchange
Me(29). DH(40). DSD(15). DSS(9). DS1(2). DS2(10/6/10).

Dan Brennan, MD replied to momtobegrunden's response:
I agree with momtobegrunden - try to keep your baby stimulated during a feeding by removing some clothes and rubbing his back and feet when he starts to dose off.

It takes some time to transition a baby from bottle to breast, but it can happen with persistence. In my practice, I have had babies switch from expressed breastmillk from a bottle to nursing as late as 9 months of age.

Ask you pediatrician about a referral to a lactation consultant - it is amazing what they can help you achieve in a short period of time.

Dr. Dan

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

bottle problem
like this website i always check what i want to know about medical well i have a question how can i stop my son drink in the bottle his ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.