Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
dark red/purple spots
bcfrost816 posted:
My second daughter is almost 13 weeks old and I have a questions about a weird rash on her legs. About a week ago I noticed she had some small dark red/purple colored spots on her left leg, mostly on the calf area. I touched them and they didn't blanche and I remembere for some reason that this is a big deal. So I called the on-call pediatrician and they told me to take her to urgent care to get checked out. So we did that and they ran a blood test and her blood counts were all normal, so we made an appointment for the next day (this was the weekend of course) with her regular pediatrician.
She looked at them, talked to me about the scary things (like leukemia and such) but said that her blood count was completely normal, so we will just watch and see if anymore pop up.
So of course, last night at bath time I notice she has some more on her other leg. Same area, the calf area. So my DH is taking her in again this morning to see the pediatrician.

Anyone know what this could be?? I'm hoping so much that it is nothing, just a weird thing. I know my pedi said it wasn't leukemia becuase her blood count was normal, but now she is getting more and I'm getting worried about her. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen? She acts fine, no fever, acts normal and happy. Thanks!!

BarbsieJean responded:
BC,

I had this same problem with my 4 year old son. It went on for 5 months. We went thru a battery of tests, biopsies, scans, etc.... all to find out we had bedbugs. When I read your story it gave me chills. I always found new ones at bathtime too. The bloodsucking bastards attack legs and feet first.

Check her mattress (seams especially), the crevices in her crib or bassinet, and the corners of the room she is sleeping in. You may think this sounds outlandish, but I have 3 other children and myself that all live in the same house, and my two boys share a room, yet my baby was the only one attacked by the mini vampires.

Identical symptoms. Purplish red spots that didn't blanche...etc etc.

They are about 1/4 inch long, reddish brown, and flat. Their rear ends have horizontal stripes, and the babies are translucent so you can't even see them until they are adults. They hide in book bindings, picture frames, mattress seams, under carpet, behind light switches...and they only come out after dark. They cannot be killed except with extreme heat (upwards of 120 degrees). We had to move to get rid of them and I still sleep with a flashlight because of paranoia. There should be therapy available for people that have dealt with these things. Seriously.

Please please PLEASE check. Good luck with everything.

bcfrost816 replied to BarbsieJean's response:
Interesting, I never thought of that! I will definitely check her crib and room, thank you!!

nikki2o13 responded:
hiii. i know this was some time ago this happened but im going through the same thing!!! my 5month old has had this happen 3times now! first time i rushed off to the doctors who sent us to hospital, who took blood tests, checked his poop and pee, and it all came back normal (thank goodness) they said its possibly a virus.. so i left it at that. it happened again a few weeks later, we seen my doctor who said she thinks its another virus. oooooooook..... he was fine in himself though.. just the purple dots which do not fade under a glass... this morning i notice he has them again!! im worried and im thinking if i take him back to the doctors again they are going to be thinking im one of those paranoid mothers.... but im beginning to think its something more serious than virus after virus... did you ever get to the bottom of it??? i see the other post about bed bugs... my son has only been in his cotbed for 3weeks and it was brand new.. mattress was still in its wrapper. so i dont think it could be bedbugs

hgreenwood7058 replied to nikki2o13's response:
nikki have they looked at his blood counts? it could be a virus but the only time i have seen the spots was when i worked in the walk in clinic and the baby had these spots and they had to do a blood draw and the platelet count was very low. It was likely a bad virus but they had to check the baby closely

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.