Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Orajel. Good or bad?
GrandmaMindie posted:
My Granddaughter is eight months old and teething. We have heard and read in many blogs that Orajel is bad because it hardens the gums. Is this true? If so, we want to stop using it! A Dr.'s advice would be wonderful!

ntherelng responded:
I never had any problem with it with DS1. For us, we didn't use it exclusively, but rather used a bag of tricks and kept trying to see what worked. Orajel, Hylands's teething tablets, frozen wash cloths, frozen foods, tylenol, what ever did the trick.
Renee (38) DH (43), DS1 10/01/08, DS2 06/20/10-looks exactly like his daddy!

happymoe responded:
I haven't heard anything, but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for a Dr. response. I wish my little one had waited until 8 months to get a tooth. I can't believe she popped the first tooth at 19w3d and the second at 19w6d. We were lucky with her only being a little cranky and not even realizing that she popped a tooth until later in the day when she gummed my finger and I noticed. I didn't use any tylenol or orajel for this round, but I'm sure it will be needed for future teeth.

Dan Brennan, MD replied to happymoe's response:
Hi and Happy New Year!

I have had no problems with using a numbing agent like orajel with my patients and my own kids.

It is one of many things that we have used including cool teething toys, moist-chilled washclothes and oral pain meds.

I would suggest trying the orajel on your own gums so that you get a sense of how it feels/how long it lasts. It can certainly take the edge off, especially for those middle of the night awakenings...

Hope that helps!

Dr. Dan

JMomma1 replied to happymoe's response:
iknow! dd got two top teeth days apart at 4mos. and she did so good, not fussy at all. i do use baby orajel occassiomally cause im sure it has to hurt, at least a little! i also offer her teething ring, and other teething toys. and at 6mos she started getting her two top teeth. but these are taking a long time to come all the way out. its been a few weeks and theyre both not even halfway out of her gums yet. and now it hurts so bad if gets ya! yesterday she started to try and suck on my cheek than CHOMP! OWWW!!!!! it felt like she broke the skin, but didnt. man those new teeth are sharp!

GrandmaMindie replied to Dan Brennan, MD's response:
Thanks!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.