Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Extreme Anger & Self Scratching
lisax4156 posted:
Hey all..

So my baby is close to being 6 mos old. For about 2 mos now, his anger seems to be worsening. The last couple months have been worrysome for me. When he gets angry, he gets EXTREMELY angry to the point it's almost like he's in a rage. When he gets like this he then starts scratching himself, like he's self mutilating himself. His head and face ends up in multiple scratches, even to the point he bleeds and can get blood everywhere. No matter how short I trim his nails he still scratches himself.

Has anyone dealt with a baby like this? It's kinda scary. I've never seen a baby this angry. When he's not angry, he's very happy and coos all the time. He's obviously too young to see a psychiatrist or I'd take him.

If anyone has any advise or tips I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Lisa
33(me) 30(BF) 19(DD) 15(DS) and new baby Tristan born at 36w0d 7-14-10. 5lbs 14ozs, 18in. 2wks: 6lbs 6ozs. 6wks: 10 1/2 lbs. 21in.

KSHoh responded:
My baby gets like that around nap time. He is almost 4 months and still in mittens. You may have to put mittens on him. My lo used to be in them all day not I just put on around his nap times. I hope this helps.

Jennifer Shu, MD responded:
Thanks for your question. It might be helpful if you could take a video of your son's behavior and show it to his pediatrician. It's great that he is happy and coos most of the time. However, when he gets into these rages, try to distract him and give him an object to look at or play with that he doesn't usually have (keep a separate stash of "new and exciting" toys for these occasions). Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.