Skip to content
Diarrhea and vomiting in an 8 month old!
steph_berrigan posted:
Hello, My name is Stephanie Carr. I have an 8 month old daughter named Aeryn (pronounced Erin). She has some sort of sickness that even her pediatrician dosen't know what it is.
She has had diareha for the last 4 days! So bad that she has been soiling a diaper every 20 minutes. Sometimes even more than that. She also has been vomiting for the last 3 days. She NEVER vomits. Even when she was a newborn. I cannot get her to keep anything down. I have tried to give her water to help her get hydrated, that won't even stay down.
I have given her pedialyte (doctor recomended) and that won't stay down. I have kept her vertical so that way she could have a chance at keeping some food down.... Nothing is working. Is there anyhting that I can give her (food wise) to maybe harden her stool? Is there anyhting that I can give her so that way she MIGHT be able to hold it down? I just want her to keep something down long enough so that was she can get the nutrients from the food or drinks.
Please help me. This is my first child and I am extremely worried! When should I take her back to the doctor? I just took her yesterday (12th of Jan.). Should I take her to the hospital or is this going to pass soon?
Thank you sooooo much for helping me.
Sincerely,
Stephanie Carr

j9ween2 responded:
if she has tears or is making wet diapers you don't need to go to the ER yet

How long has she been vomiting? Try 1 teaspoon of formula or breastmilk and see if it stays down. If it doesn't wait an hour or two and try again. Once it stays down do 1 teaspoon an hour for a few hours. Gradually decrease the amount of time inbetween each teaspoon. If it comes back up stop giving anything for a few hours again.

Once she stops vomiting you can work on the diarrhea issue. Stick to the brat diet which is bananas, rice, applesauce & toast. Don't give much juice, that can make it worse.

For her bottom, don't use wipes, try wet paper towels. Air her butt out as much as possible. I like to switch between desitin creamy & triple paste.

hope she feels better soon
Janine (Tyler -5, Bella -3, and Giana -9 months born 8 weeks early)

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Crib Safety Tips
CRIB SAFETY TIPS if you have a used crib or are considering buying one: Make sure it has no corner posts. older infants can catch ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.