Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
3 weeks old an constapated
fawnderlynn posted:
My son is 3 weeks old an he grunts all day an all night even wakes me up from pushing so hard.He hardly ever passes gas since jan 1 he at most has had 9 poopy diapers ive tried sup. an they only help with one bowel movement an u cant give a supository everyday its bad for them my nieces say he looks like a indonisian baby or a frog with his belly bloated he is also wanting to eat 2-3 ounces every 2 hours because of his stomach ache making him think he his hungry . Does anybody know what i should do ? i have a 45 min drive to his doc an i dont have transportation

Samantha_77 responded:
With my daughter I took 1oz of real (not from concentrate) apple juice and mix it with 3 oz of water and let her drink it, she would normally poop then the next day. You can also use prune juice, just make sure to dilute it.

ReneeErin responded:
Just call the pediatrician. The Dr should be able to help you. I know they told me a rectal thermometer helps to get things moving. He may just not poop very often. My daughter is like that now.

phoenix31674 responded:
My son poops every 2-4 days only. Not every child poops every day. as long as his stomach is not hard, he's probably okay.

also what does his stool look like? Is it still soft and runny or harder. If it is harder and pellet like then he is likely constipated. If it's still soft and runny it's just his schedule. My boy is a noisy pooper, too. Just the way he is.

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Hi Fawnderlynn

The good news is that it sounds like you have a very normal baby. From 2-4 weeks old, infants start to get gassier and often go through periods of cluster feeding.

As long as his bm's are soft, it is possible for him to go up to 7-10 days in between bm's - the grunting and groaning is a normal part of it.

Tummy massage and moving the legs around may help provide some comfort, but you should see things improve as he gets past the 6 week mark.

Hope that helps!

Dr. Dan

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.