Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
36 hrs. and no poop!! Need Advice
STheo posted:
My LO turned 4 months today and its been 36 hrs since he pooped. He is exclusively breastfeed except that we started him on brown rice cereal. He would have 2 or 3 tsp. of that mixed with breast milk once a day and follow that up with some apple juice (not a lot maybe 1 oz. 1/2 juice 1/2 water).
He doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, lots of gas, but no BM.
We have his 4 months appt with our pedi this thursday, hopefully he will poo by then. Anything I can do until then?

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Hi - As long as the bowel movements have not been rock-hard, it is not uncommon for some babies this age to go up to 7 days (even 10!).

Speaking from personal experience ... when he does go, it may be quite impressive

I'd try some tummy massage and a warm bath to help him relax.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dan

happymoe responded:
I was getting stressed with my DD at 5 months when she went over 60 hours without a poop. She is breastfed but I started rice cereal twice a day since about 4 months She usually went at the very least every 24-36 hours. I added a little bit of prunes to her cereal and she pooped within a few hours, prune bits and all.... don't ask me how lol. I've heard that pears help too, although they haven't had such an effect as the prunes for us.

STheo responded:
He finally had a BM today. I tried to feed him prunes pureed (Gerber brand) and prune juice in small amounts over the last 3 days with no result. Lots of stinky gas but nothing. Finally went to pediatrician who like Dr. Brennan said "not to worry, its his digestive tract getting used to the cereal that I fed him." She also recommends Q-tip with vaseline to help move things along. I did that tonight after he farted a few times and poop just came pouring out. LOL. They're not hard, so he wasn't constipated!!

phoenix31674 responded:
My LO is not quite 4 months and not eating food yet (just breastmilk). He just went almost 6 days without pooping, which is a little more than normal for him. He generally poops every 3-4 days. His sister was the same way. He's a nice happy baby, so I just let him be. If he was uncomfortable, I would likely do the Q-tip/vaseline route.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.