Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
6 month old constipated?
happymoe posted:
My DD is 6 months old, is on 3 cereal/fruit or veggie meals a day supplemented with various fruit I eat, puffs, extra water with 1/5 apple juice, and is breastfed throughout the day. (I was very hesitant to start juice, but she wouldn't drink straight water and I was worried that she wasn't drinking enough.)

Last Sunday was the last day she had a BM on her own. On Tuesday night she was fairly fussy, so we used a 1/2 a baby glycerin suppository to move things along. She had 4 huge BM's within 20 minutes. They were all very soft, definately not "pebbles" that are described with true constipation. The last BM I could see the prune bits from the pureed prunes I fed her Monday night and Tuesday morning.

She had her 6 month vaccines on Wednesday, and did fantastic. No extra fussing and didn't even cry when she got it. (My trooper!)

Friday afternoon we decided to do another suppository, and we got 2 average BM's in 5 minutes, again, relatively soft. Lots of prune bits again.

Today she's been super fussy so I did another suppository and I only got one small BM with a bit of mucous in it.

Each meal she gets about 2 tbsp of oatmeal or rice cereal (fluffs up to about 3 tbsp when prepared) with an equal amount of a veggie or fruit. Because of what's been going on, I've backed off on the cereal a bit, and am using apples, pears, prunes and apricots to try to speed things along. She eats like there's no tomorrow and usually gets mad when I show her the empty bowl.

She's relatively happy and is not dehydrated, so I will call our health unit on Monday if she still hasn't gone on her own. (We don't have pediatricans (sp?) in our small town.)

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I'm missing that I could be doing?

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Hi happymoe -

Congrats on your baby!

What you are describing is a fairly commom phenomenon. Many infants this age will go up to 7-10 days without producing a BM.

The important thing that you mentioned was that she does not have hard BMs.

No doubt that when she goes, she is really going to go - but you probably do not need to worry about using suppositories in this situation.

Sometimes some tummy massage and a warm bath will help to do the trick.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dan

happymoe replied to Dan Brennan, MD's response:
Thank you very much for your reply. I haven't done another suppository since my post, and she still hasn't gone. Her mood is good, so I'll wait another day or so. She eats sooo much that she really does make me worried when she doesn't poop every day. =(

I tried a tummy massage twice yesterday, we did bicycling of her legs lots, and we had a long bath last night.

Even with this going on, I went ahead and started sleep training her two nights ago. She cried for 35 minutes the first night, with me going in at 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 10 minutes. Last night she cried about 6 minutes, with me going in at 4 and 6 minutes. Naps are actually taking place in the crib now and things are much happier around here. =) I'm doing the Ferber method, but with shorter time intervals to start. 5, 10, 15, 15 seemed way too long for me.

Thanks again for your reply. =)

phoenix31674 replied to happymoe's response:
If her stomach isn't hard, she probably isn't constipated and just doesn't poo that often. My DD was a poo every 3-5 days and DS is shaping up the same way. I want to say DD was well over a year before she starting pooping every day. Just make sure her stomach isn't hard and she's happy.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Did you know crib bumpers can be dangerous?Expert
Sure they're cute, but are they worth the potential risk? Between 1985 and 2005, 27 children under the age of 2 years died and 25 were ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.