Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
normal????
MommyWestlake posted:
alright so my 3 week old son has got to be the gassyest baby around....he farts like an adult very loud and a lot. he is a breastfed baby...he farts so much he wakes himself up which brings me to my next issue...he eats so much..he wakes up after his farting episodes and wants to eat which is like every 45 minutes...i pump every so often to let my husband do some feeding to bond and hes eating 4 ounces at a time..HELP lol i have a gassy and very hungry boy

phoenix31674 responded:
His gas is probably for one of two reasons.

1. You may be producing too much foremilk which is sugary and causes gas. This can be alleviated by pumping to let down and then putting him on the breast or discarding that milk and then filling the bottle with hindmilk. It will probably take about a week for his system to clear.

2. It could be a reaction to something you are eating. Dairy, soy, peanuts, veg like broccoli, beans and some high acidity foods such as tomatoes and citrus can be the culprit. The only way to test this theory is to eliminate those foods from your diet and after about two weeks start introducing them one at a time starting with soy products and then breaking dairy down by type - so yogurt, then hard cheeses, soft cheeses, milk, ice cream all separately. Keep in mind that there is a lot of hidden dairy and soy in processed foods, so you would need to read labels diligently if you try this approach. You would probably need about a week with each new introduction to see if it's the culprit.

also make sure you get a good burp after each feeding to keep the gas out of the intestines as much as possible.

just my gut says that because of the hunger, it sounds like you might have a forceful letdown or too much foremilk. If he gets too much foremilk or gets too much air because of the rapid letdown, he's not getting enough of the rich hindmilk and will be hungry more often. I would definitely try the pump to let down first and see if that helps. you would notice him waiting longer between feedings because he's finally getting good and full.

One way to lessen the let down reaction is to block feed where you feed exclusively from one side for a block of time that I think was only 2 hours but might have been as long as 4. i looked it up once, but can't recall the length of the blocks. This will get him more hindmilk and less foremilk and teach your breast to calm down a little. From what I recall reading this isn't something you need to do permanently, but i would look into that.

Good luck.

happymoe replied to phoenix31674's response:
I agree with Phoenix, it sounds like he's not getting enough hindmilk for the hunger part. I had to really watch what I ate for the first month or my DD would be gassy and grumpy. Through trial and error I had to avoid yogurt, milk, ice cream, chocolate, coffee, broccoli, cauliflower, of course cabbage ( still avoid cabbage ), and brussel sprouts. I eased back into the coffee, chocolate and milk products within about 4-6 weeks, then the cruciferous veggies by 8 weeks. It really made a difference to her system. HTH.

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Hi MommyWestlake

What you are experiencing is very normal for a 3 week old baby.

Most babies will become gassier from weeks 2-4 and will peak around 4-6 weeks. It will get better after 6 weeks.

Also, babies will start to cluster feed (feed every hour) around 3 and 6 weeks. The frequent feedings will help your milk supply increase.

This is an exhausting time, but it sounds like you are doing an amazing job! Hang in there and know that in a matter of weeks you'll be past the hardest part

Dr. Dan

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.