Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
No Bowl Movement, Help!
MartinaWilliams posted:
My DD is 10 weeks old and have not had a BM in 4 days. I exclusively breastfeed and she normally goes every 1- 2 days. She is not fussy n her stomach isnt really hard. I tried massaging it in a circular notation but all I got was really stink farts. Sometimes I hear her grunting and nothing comes out. She continues to have regular wet diapers but no poopy ones.

I am worried something is wrong, do u think i should bring her to the doctor or just continue to watch it?

phoenix31674 responded:
In the main parenting forum, the Dr. was saying it's not unusual from breastfed babies to go as long as 10 days without pooping. as long as her stomach's not hard, just watch and wait.

MartinaWilliams replied to phoenix31674's response:
Thanks. Do you know the name of the topic, so i can look for it?
Me (20), Bf (48) and DD,lilja born Nov.30.2010

Emma_WebMD_Staff replied to MartinaWilliams's response:
Dr. Brennan responded to a post earlier this month regarding constipation in infants. You may want to check out his answer here .

Good luck!
Emma

phoenix31674 replied to MartinaWilliams's response:
It was actually in this forum from Dr. Brennan. My son (4 months) and my daughter before him both pooped anywhere from every 2-6 days with no real discernible pattern. unless she seems like she's in pain, everything is generally fine. Breastmilk doesn't have a lot of 'filler' and they are so small they don't produce as much other waste as someone out of infancy.

Don't feel bad about asking. I had to ask with my daughter and the doc assured me going a week wasn't a big deal even though it seems odd to us as adults. and not all docs are familiar with breastfed babies not pooping as much. My current doc seemed shocked when I told him my son's pooping habits, but i wasn't worried since DD did the same and is just fine. He's a pretty young doc and it seems that that sort of info about breastfed babies is a gap in his education.

Link here

MartinaWilliams replied to phoenix31674's response:
Thanks and she pooped today and Ive never been so excited to see poop before lol.
Me (20), Bf (48) and DD,lilja born Nov.30.2010

phoenix31674 replied to MartinaWilliams's response:
LOL I felt the same way when DS hit day 6 without pooping. I've just resigned myself to the fact he will poop erratically and as long as he's happy don't worry about it. We're on day 5 without a good poop. he did on Tuesday that doesn't really count. I told DH it was 'skid marks'. LOL We never thought we would be conversing about poop, but there we were talking about DS's and egging DD on to poop in the potty. ah, parenthood.

happymoe replied to MartinaWilliams's response:
I was sooo happy to see poop too from my LO. She's still pooping smaller amounts than I like, and it's pretty clay like, but it's moving. =) She was a faithful pooper every 1-2 days until solids. Freaked me out. =(

roni090909 responded:
My pedi warned me that this would happen, starting around a month old. Its very normal in BF babies. As long as when she does its not solid you are fine.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

bottle problem
like this website i always check what i want to know about medical well i have a question how can i stop my son drink in the bottle his ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.