Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Intro & Question
StarryGrrl posted:
Hi everybody, I recently gave birth to a sweet baby girl, so I thought I would hop on over to the parenting boards. I looked for a newborn community board, but didn't see one; am I just missing it or does one not exsist? Anyway, I look forward to being a part of these parenting boards.
I do have one question: I noticed yesterday that it seems DD's skin is starting to peel all over her body. Is this normal for baby skin to do this about a week after birth or is it just a sign of dry skin? I did put some lotion on part of her to see how her skin would react, but it is continuing to peel. Just wondering if this is normal. Thanks!

MNMommy3 responded:
Hey StarryGrrl! It is very normal for baby's skin to peel like that. It took probably 1-2 weeks for my LO's skin to stop peeling. Our pedi suggested we use Aquaphor for babies. It worked wonders on her skin. Still, though, at 5-1/2 weeks, her hands and feet are peeling.

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Congrats on the new baby!

Most newborns will have peeling skin for the 1st several weeks. Generally you will not need to apply anything to the skin for the 1st 2 wks. After that time you could use a mild, fragrance free, hypoallergenic moisturizer (aquaphor, cetaphil, aveeno, etc)

Hope that helps!

Dr. Dan

StarryGrrl responded:
Thanks MNMommy and Dr. Dan; that's helps a lot. I have a 2.5 year old DS, so I should remember things like this, but it's amazing how much you forget! Thanks again!

peachyisthelife responded:
Yeah very normal, but I've been told it doesn't itch or bother the baby at all, and it never seemed to with any of my kids. So I never put any lotion on them.
Cathryn~~~Jared 4yo~Brooke 2yo~Leah born July 2010

peachyisthelife replied to peachyisthelife's response:
And congrats hon!! :)
Cathryn~~~Jared 4yo~Brooke 2yo~Leah born July 2010

StarryGrrl replied to peachyisthelife's response:
Thanks Cathryn!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.