Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Baby's head measuring large/growing too quickly.
momofpandp posted:
My baby girl just had her 9 month check up last week. Her head circumference has always hovered around the 50th percentile mark in the past, but at this appt., it measured up near the 80th percentile. The doctor wants to see her back in six weeks to measure again to see where it's at. When I asked her what it could mean, she told me that when the head grows too fast, they wonder why, and that it could be signs of water on the brain or a tumor. She told me I should try not to worry about it (yeah right!), but she was just being cautious. While I appreciate the fact that she's looking out for my little babe, the thought of something being wrong with her is FREAKING me out, and six week couldn't come fast enough. Has anyone else been through this? Oh, and her height has always been around the 75th to 85th percentile, so her head and height kind of match up--but it's just weird that her head decided to grow so fast.

Wendy12345678 responded:
sounds very stressful, no wonder your worried. If she said its just a percaution I'm sure its all going to be fine. If they really thought it was a tumor or water on the brain they would not wait 6 weeks for sure. Perhaps like you said her head just decided to play catch up. There are always some crazy jumps on those growth charts. My middle son was the 100th percentile for height at his last visit, which was nuts, and my baby went from 50th % to 90th % for his weight, in 4 weeks. Putting to much clout in the growth charts can cause so much worry. I did have a cuncusion and hematoma as a child due to a bad head injury, and there was a worry about the blood on my brain putting to much pressure on the brain. I was not let out of the hospital for weeks so I do know that Doctors don't play games in regards to brain issues. I wish you tons of luck in dealing with this for six weeks, really do try not to worry, if she's acting fine, she probably is fine.

phoenix31674 responded:
I don't have experience with a big jump like that, but DD's head has always been off the chart. Of course she's also roughly 95% on height and 80 on weight, so she's just a big girl.

I would try not to worry about it. It sounds like her head might be playing catch up and the doc probably isn't that worried because the numbers are 'matching up' now. I hope this turns out to be nothing.

mpm925 responded:
Hi, am curious to know the results of your baby's head growth. I took my daughter today for her 9 month check up & was told the exact same thing. My baby is at 90th percentile height & weight. I am also scared of this & trying to research more about it on the web. I would really appreciate if you can comment on it. Thank you.

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP responded:
Oh dear, I can only imagine how frightening that must have been to hear. I think any mother would feel the same level of anxiety, especially regarding having to wait 6 weeks to find out if anything is wrong. The reality is that for the first 18 months of life, many of the growth percentile meausurements change from visit to visit. One moment in time, or one "jump" in percentiles is definitely not something we worry about. It is really an ongoing trend that continues over time, that gives us concern. In your case, since your daughter's head circumference increased from one visit to another, it's virtually impossible to say that it represents a problem. If the trend of increasing head size continued over time, then it might be time to look into it, but even then, it's likely that it's not reflective of a problem, but simply her own personal growth pattern. I realize this doesn't give you a guarantee that all is fine, but I hope it at least gives you a little piece of mind. Oh, and by the way, this is a very common scenario. It's easier said than done, I know, but try not to worry too much over these next 6 weeks. I have a feeling, like others have said, that her head is playing "catch up" here. Hope that helps a little!
Dr. DuMond

cleopatra1305 responded:
Just like the doctor said, don't worry too much. My daughter just recently had her check up and at 8 months, her head circumference is in the 95th percentile! The doctor just told me they would keep an eye on this and not to worry. By the way, my head circumference was the same way when I was her age. My daughter also measures almost 30 inches long at months too. Just keep an eye on your baby's progress and don't let this ruin your joyful time with your baby.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.