Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Now very firm BMs
happymoe posted:
I posted a while back about my 6 month old being possibly constipated. I waited about 5 1/2 days at one point for a poop, and she did go, but it's been even more firm lately.

She is still on 3 meals a day plus on demand breastfeeding. I cut out rice cereal and bananas completely and was using wheat cereal and other fruits and veggies. Last week when the wheat cereal ran out I started barley. This whole time I've been doing roughly 1 tbsp dry cereal then prepared, and add 1-2x amount in fruit or veggie. She has been eating mostly apple/mango/pears for fruit, and squash and sweet potatoes for veggies. Peas make her very gassy, and green beans end up everywhere but her mouth.

Her poops have been very firm, like adult firm. You can still mush them with a firm press, but she has a hard time pushing them out.

She also gets roughly 70-120ml a day in water with about a 1/5 apple juice in a soft top sippie cup.

She pees tons, and I don't feel that she's dehydrated at all.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you soften up the poo. She doesn't seem stressed or uncomfortable, but she pushes to poo, she tries really hard and doesn't produce much at each BM.

tyia!

Wendy12345678 responded:
My 1 month old had some green poop and our pedi talked to us about slow digestion, but it wasn't to the point of constipation. He said that if he does end up constipated to use prune juice. In our case he said just an ounce or two, but you could probably use more, maybe watered down.

StarryGrrl responded:
My now 2 year old DS had constipation issues when we started him on solids at 6 months old. In his case, he had 2 intestinal surgeries right after he was born, so his surgeon didn't want him to go more than 2 days without a bowel movement because he didn't want extra strain on the intestines. Because of this, we learned some tricks for getting him to poop. The two things that worked the best were warm prune juice and Miralax. Miralax can be found over the counter and all it does is add moisture to the poop to make it easier to move along and out; it doesn't make you have a bowel movement, which can be painful. We even had to do enimas for our baby a few times, but that should be a last resort. I hope that helps. Have you talked to your baby's pediatrician? Maybe he/she has some helpful ideas as well.

happymoe replied to StarryGrrl's response:
Since my post, I've started preparing her cereal with prune nectar instead of water, and increased green veggies. I had to do a suppository yesterday because she was straining and only getting little pebbles out, and then threw up once. I had to literally squeeze the sides of her bum to get the poop to come out once she started. After that it was all soft. This morning's BM was nice and soft, so I hope we're on the road to better times.

I have booked an appt with her Dr., but we don't have pediatricians in town so I think it will be a bust. She's never been to a Dr. since we left the hospital, she's only seen health nurses at her shots. There are supposed to be Dr.'s at the health unit when the vaccines are given in case there are questions the health nurses can't answer, but in our town of 7000, they don't show up there, they're still slammed at their clinic or the hospital, or just trying to catch up on some sleep. It's sad really. It took 3 years of living here to even get a family Dr. When I was pregnant I went to the "OB Clinic" which is a 3 Dr. rotation switching every Friday. There are only 2 Dr.'s in town with "C-Section Privlidges" and one of those Dr.'s are not on the OB rotation, she owns a private esthetic clinic on the outskirts of town. Free health care in Canada is nice, but sometimes it's just impossible to access it and the set up is screwed at the best of times.....

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.