Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
baby's sleeping issues-we are frazzled!
startingover57 posted:
My husband and I are 57 and 58 years old. We got legal custody of our 4 month old grandson when he was 6 weeks old. He was exposed to nicotine, alcohol, and cocaine during the pregnancy. He will go to sleep for nap or night time. We put him in his crib, and almost always he is awake and crying within 5-10 minutes. We get him up, put him back to sleep (or replace his pacifier). This can happen 4-5 times and it is wearing us down. Sometimes he wakes because he pulls his pacifier out. (So he must not be sleeping soundly). We don't know how to handle this. Very frustratiog. Could this be related to his prenatal drug exposure? Please help.

KSHoh responded:
I dont have any experience with a baby exposed to drugs but have had some sleep issues with my son. The first thing you may want to try is swaddling- my son had to be swaddled for a long time just to get 4-5hrs of sleep out of him at a time. Next you should do some sleep training. I would take it slow with him though. At his age his bed time should be somewhere between 7:30-8:30. Make sure you have a good bedtime routine- Bath, story, song,prayers( if you pray) and then bed. Babies need a routine. Start putting him down very sleepy but still awake. He may put himself right to sleep or he may cry, dont pink him up right away. You can sooth him without picking him up. Give him 5-10 mins if he is still fussing pick him up( briefly)- tell him its sleepy time and its time to go to bed, you love him and you will see him in the morning. Keep repeating this but increase the time you go in to pick him up to give him some time to calm himself down. With my son If I give him 10 mins to cry by the time I go in and put his paci in he has worn himself out and will go back to sleep. Also make sure you get him attached to a snuggie( stuffed animal, blankie, or one of the ones that is the combo stuffed animal head with a blankie body.) They need something to comfort them instead of you. Make sure they carry it around with him all the time so that he can form an attachment to it. I hope this helps some.

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Startingover57,

First you are a wonderful grandmother to take on such a task. Congratulations on your grandson though. I would probably call his doctor and discuss this issue with him/her. This doesn't sound like something that is out of the ordinary for newborns however. Here is an article we have on baby's and sleep. The first is Baby Sleep: Expert Q&A's . We also have a video on Baby's Sleep . That might be helpful too.

Good luck to you both, and hope to see you here more often!
Emma

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.