Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Hydronephrosis? (Looking for Nikkumom too)
osamuel08 posted:
Hi All,
I am on here a little early but I am hoping to get feedback from anyone who had a LO diagnosed with hydronephrosis in utero. It is just been discovered in my LO's left kidney (in a routine u/s at 37+ weeks). Just wondering what special steps were taken (if any) prior to or after delivery and so far what the results have been? I go the high risk ob tomorrow and this will be my first real chat regarding the severity, future outlook, etc... I've been trying to remain cool about it but starting to feel my nerves get to me. DH has a job interview so I'll be on my own for this one and I am just trying to prepare myself.

Nikkumom, congrats on what sounds like a great birth! What a close call with your DH and OB, so glad to hear they made it on time!! And you chose a beautiful name. You must be very proud, she sounds well from her stats and it sounds like you did a fantastic job. Any news on the hydronephrosis? Did they do any special checks on her once born? I've also post this on the third tri board in the event you haven't switched over yet :)
TIA,
Jen (35) DH (35) DS (5) DS (2) edd 4/7/11 blue team

Grace22282 responded:
My little girl had excess fluid on her kidney as well in utero. All they really did for me was to continue to watch it until I gave birth. Once she was born, we took her to have an ultrasound done to see how it looked after birth. For my daughter it ended up being that her tube from the bladder to one kidney was enlarged so we then had to do another test to see if when pressure was put on her bladder how much if any fluid shot back up into her kidney. Until they scheduled that test and we had it done, we had to give her a daily dose of anitbiotic because she was more suseptible to bladder infections. Once they performed the test- they realized nothing was "shooting" back up into her bladder so we dont' have to do anything else until she's a year old and then we will do another ultrasound to see if the tube is still enlarged. It's very scary when they tell you all this stuff, but in the end, God will take care of you and your children.

I hope and pray that it is nothing serious, but there is not a whole lot they can do until after the baby is born and even then, most of the time they like to "watch" it until they get a little older.

I hope this helps some

Laura- DD Aubrey Grace born 11/26/10

Dan Brennan, MD replied to Grace22282's response:
Grace is correct in the usual workup for hydronephrosis. Typically an ultrasound will be done and if hydronephrosis is confirmed a test called a VCUG is done next. A daily dose of antibiotic may be given to prevent bladder/kidney infections if reflux is suspected.

In my experience, many babies with hydronephrosis on prenatal ultrasound have turned out to have very normal kidneys once the workup is done after birth.

Hope that helps,
Dr. Dan

osamuel08 replied to Dan Brennan, MD's response:
Many thanks to both of you! It really does sound like with a little luck and the right doctor we can tackle this. Of course, when you are laying on that table and you see the u/s tech begin to focus on an area you begin to worry. It gets worse when they start asking you questions and using words you've never encountered before. So thanks for putting my mind at ease and I'll start looking for a decent ped urologist in the event I need it once he is born.

Jen (35) DH (35) DS (5) DS (2) edd 4/7/11 blue team

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Crib Safety Tips
CRIB SAFETY TIPS if you have a used crib or are considering buying one: Make sure it has no corner posts. older infants can catch ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.