Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Cough with no fever in a 3 month old
Tony97 posted:
My 12 week odd has had a slight cough since Sunday that is getting more frequent. She does not have a fever and she is still her normal happy baby and occassionally runny nose. I think she is starting to get her lower teeth coming in. I almost think it could be allergies. The weather was finally nice enough that we opened the windows over the weekend, but I am not sure. I don't want to take her to the doctor and sit with all the sick kids if she isn't sick or they will say that she just needs to ride it out.

GermaphobeTeacher responded:
My 12 week old daughter has a little cough sometimes too. Hers is just from the extra saliva she has right now which may be the case for your daughter as well since you think she is starting to get her teeth. That is listed as a common symptom of teething babies. I would just keep an eye on her and call if it gets any worse or if she starts getting any other symptoms.

Sara DuMond, MD, FAAP replied to GermaphobeTeacher's response:
Hi Tony97! You are not alone in your thought process - lots of moms I've talked to don't like dragging one, let alone multiple kids to the doctor's office if they don't have to! You are absolutely correct to wait this one out. Cough by itself could be due to any number of things. You mentioned allergies, which is certainly a possibility, if you live in an area of the country like I do, where the tree pollen is wreaking havoc! An isolated cough can also be due to a minor cold, in which case, you should expect it to be gone within about a week and a half to two weeks. If your baby's cough lasts longer than 2 weeks, or if she suddenly develops any new symptoms like a fever, wheezing, or difficulty breathing, it's time to take her in to see the doctor. Regarding cough and teething, I'd say the jury is out on this one. It's funny, because a very senior pediatrician that I trained under used to have a standard line about whether or not teething causes other symptoms like cough, runny nose, fever, or diarrhea. He used to say grumpily, "Teething only causes one thing and that's teeth!" (Subtelty was not his forte). I can imagine how increased saliva production could cause a minor, nonproductive cough, so I would say that it's possible that this is on the list of things it could be, but again, if the cough isn't gone after 2 weeks, it's probably wise to consult your pediatrician.
Dr. DuMond

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Crib Safety Tips
CRIB SAFETY TIPS if you have a used crib or are considering buying one: Make sure it has no corner posts. older infants can catch ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.