Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Baby Names!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jaimarie_109 posted:
Okay guys I need your help......my sister is 6 months pregnant and still cannot choose betweeen the names she wants for her daughter....I told her about webmd, and what it was all about and she's fine with that, so we came to the point where we wanted other people....complete strangers (lol) opinion on the the names we picked. So can you please give us your feedback...and we really appreciate you guys for your feedback ( in advance)
*amery
*mariah
*amerie -pronounced....(a-marie)
*ameryst -pronounced...(aim-merist)
*naveah (heaven spelled backwards)
*sariyah -pronounced...(suh-rye-ah)
*keziah -pronounced ...(kuh-zye-uh)
*malaya -pronounce...(muh-lay-yuh)
*emoni -pronounced...(e-my-ni)
*mahoghaney
*jade
*******By the way I think she should name my (soon-to-be niece) AMERIE...im really loving that name.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

StarryGrrl responded:
I vote for Sariyah and Malaya

An_204604 responded:
I personally am not a big fan of any of them, but I would probably choose Amerie or Malaya. My least favorite is Naveah. I have always thought that name was super cheesy.

phoenix31674 responded:
I'm a traditionalist and prefer names that don't require a lot of effort of saying or spelling them. Of course, I did give my son the less common spelling of his name, so that's not entirely true, but I just thought Erik seemed stronger than Eric - and more Nordic.

I will agree with PP that I do find Naveah a bit cheesy.

For both my kids we looked to our heritage and history to choose names with meanings we liked and with strong historical figures. My daughter is named after queens and empresses with DS after kings and of course the Viking explorer. For his middle name, we chose to honor my father who passed from cancer 10 years ago. Had my father still been alive, his middle name likely would have been William after William the Conquerer.

Then our kids could have been Will and Kate. LOL

I will has that when I see mahoghaney, I first thought it was mahjong, but naming a girl after that tree seems a little odd.

GermaphobeTeacher responded:
As a teacher, one of my biggest pet peeves is when kids have names that are spelled crazy or pronounced differently than they are spelled. There was actually a study not too long ago where they found that children with names that were spelled crazy were more likely to be bad spellers later in life since people will always question them on the spelling of their name. I like names that are not super common, but not if they sound made up. None of these names are really my taste, but I would probably choose Amerie, Mariah, or Jade out of this list since they are pronounced how they are spelled.

phoenix31674 replied to GermaphobeTeacher's response:
To add that, they also did a study on hiring practices and HR folks were drawn to the more conventional name if two resumes were in other ways equivalent. now i know that we are getting a lot more kids with unique names and that may shift as the older generation shifts out of the work force.

I agree with GermaphobeTeacher, we wanted a conventional yet not too common name.

cshyronia responded:
I like sariyah . My name is Cshyronia (saronya). when i was younger i wasnt fond of it but as i have gotten older i appriciate my unique name. i named my daughter Aniya which is now becoming more common

eliguns841984 responded:
none of these names really appeal to me either, but Sariyah would by far exceed the others in my opinion. I think I prefer it because it sounds like Sarai (suh-rye), which was Sarah's original name in the Bible. God later renamed her Sarah as a way of "rebirthing" her as a follower of Christ. My son's name is Abram, who was Sarai's husband in the bible. When Sarai's name was changed to Sarah, Abram's name was also changed to Abraham. It is also believed by some that the letter H was added to their names to represent the letter H in "Jehovah". Just a little bible lesson for you there LOL
Noel (26) DH (32) J.T. (7/23/2008) and Abram (11/08/2010)

Jaimarie_109 replied to StarryGrrl's response:
yeah my sister love the name sariyah...thanks for your fb..

Jaimarie_109 replied to An_204604's response:
yeah I love amerie too....thanks your fb anyways...

Jaimarie_109 replied to phoenix31674's response:
well my aunt chose mahoghany, its some dark color (brown I think) that she like's...please dont ask why she wants to name the baby that...lol...but thanks for your fb...

Jaimarie_109 replied to GermaphobeTeacher's response:
thanks for fb...

Jaimarie_109 replied to cshyronia's response:
Omg I love your name, and how its spelled, actually Ive never head of that name before...and your daughter also have a beautiful name. But I hate common name, weve always wanted to be unique with names. But thanks for your fb.

Jaimarie_109 replied to eliguns841984's response:
lol..thanks for that Eligun....I really appreciate it...and thanks for your fb..

HaveFaith1224 responded:
I like either Mariah or Jade.

I have to agree with pp, I also have a pet-peeve of names that are spelled differently than pronounced, that may stem from me being a teacher also. However, in this case it is your sister's baby and her choice of name. My husband and I chose to name our son Gabriel, which in an Italian family is considered to be an exotic name! lol But, we loved it and added the traditional middle name of Vincent (after my grandfather) to keep the family calm. Good luck choosing a name, it's not an easy task!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.