Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Distressed mom needs help
cshyronia posted:
I feel like I have done something wrong or something is wrong with my body. 3 days after my son was born he went to nicu for jaundice and dyhydration. I was to stress to pump like i should of and now my son is 2 months and my milk supply is still not good. i am able to pump about 1 oz a day. i pump 3 times at work and than breast and bottle at homes. since he takes the bottle it is a fight to get him to calm and take the breast most days. im not sure if i should just give it up or not

kmcarnag responded:
It is a very personal decision to breast feed, pump or formula feed. Only you can make that decision. Personally, if I was only able to pump 1 oz per day, I would quit and formula feed. It is way too hard to pump all day for 1 oz IMHO. I would try just breast feedin in the morning before work and after work if that can work for you. I did that with my son for several months before quitting completely at around 7 mo. Contrary to what some people will have you believe, formula is not poison and babies do just fine on it.

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
HI Cshyronia,

My daughter was born and had sever jaundice too. Even though she was my 5th child, she was the first I ever had to have jaundice like this. On the advice of the doctors office I broke down and gave her a bottle of formula. Apparently our children are smarter than the average bears, and learned very very quickly that it's easier to drink out of a bottle then it is to nurse. I so wanted to nurse my last child. I had nursed all 4 of my older boys, even my last son who had a bilateral cleft lip. I was so determined, but she wanted nothing to do with it. So I kept offering the best but would pump and suppliment her bottles with formula. I pumped for 6 months. That's a hard task to do while working as I am sure you are finding out. Honestly this is nothing that you have done, your child just has a preference. You have a few choices, you could talk to the lactation consultant and see what they say. You can continue to pump and feed her what breast milk you get, or you can decide to just give in to your child's needs and give him bottles. The honest truth is none of us know how much time and stress you are under. I can say I doubt anyone is going to feel like you didn't give it a good try, although I am sure if you are like me you'll be disappointed in the whole situation. Hang in there and good luck!

Take care,
Emma
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. Elizabeth Stone

An_204607 responded:
You should not feel guilty about giving your baby formula. Not all woman are able to breastfeed because they don't produce enough milk to satisfy the babies needs. Pumping, working and taking care of a baby is very stressful. You need to do what works best for you and your baby. I nursed my daughter for the first two months and I had planned on continuing for at least 6 months but once I started working it was very overwhelming to me. I felt like all I was doing was pumping and nursing. My breasts were still extremely sore and we just weren't getting into a groove. I felt horrible...like I was letting the baby down but the ped. reassured me that formula fed babies are just as healthy.

fiannakyn replied to An_204607's response:
I was formula fed and came out ok. All my children will be formula fed.

I was FF cause of a medication my mother has to take (she nearly died cause she stopped taking it while pregnant with me) My children will be FF because they will be adopted. (I also had breast surgery which may have blocked ducts anyway so even if I have a biological child they probably would be FF too)

4 out of 6 of my god children were/are formula fed for various reasons (mostly from the falure to produce enough, one cause of chest surgery)

Breast may be best, but formula is just as good.
Vicky DH (34) Starting Foster to adopt training on March 28th with an placement estemated by december 2011. Lurking for research :)

GermaphobeTeacher responded:
I don't have any experience with the jaundice, but the rest of your story sounds very familiar to me. After I had my daughter, I developed horrible mastitis in both breasts, and they told me to pump every 2 hours to keep up my milk supply while I recovered. Yeah right! Like anyone has time to do that. I was miserable, my fever refused to go down, and I was in too much pain to hold my daughter, so I quit pumping like I should. After the mastitis went away, I was able to pump about 1 bottle a day. Once she started eating more ounces at a time, and I wasn't able to provide even a full bottle (she refused to go back to the breast), I decided to give it up completely. I felt guilty at first, but I felt so much better and was able to be a better mother because I wasn't stressing out about pumping all the time. It turned out to be the right decision for me, and my daughter is doing great on the formula. She is in the 99th percentile for height, 93rd for weight, is 3 1/2 months ahead developmentally, and hasn't been sick once. If you do decide to stop, do not let anyone make you feel guilty about it. You know what is best for you and your little one.

cathwo responded:
I can relate. My son was in the NICU too. He was jaundice and almost had to be rehospitalized. I am BF'ing but also supplement every feed because I don't produce enough and I am taking medication for it. Stress can be a major factor in breastmilk production. There are some options though. I don't know if it is too late but you can always try medication - Domperidone (Motilium) or a natural herb - Fenugreek. Some doctors don't like to prescribe Domperidone because it's use for increasing breastmilk is an off lable use or they just don't understand Mom's and breastfeeding. As for Fenugreek there just isn't enough information out there, like all natural herbs but I know some people that have used it.
However, you are probably better off talking to a Lactation Consultant. Don't give up yet. It is a long and tough road but please stay strong until you get some more help. Good luck!

jlbwondering35 responded:
My LO was started on formula from day 1 b/c he was being watched in the nursery and I wasn't able to pick him up for the 1st 24 hours. Then I tried BF and he had troubles latching...once we came home I was worried about how much he was getting so I started pumping for his feeds. Now at 1 month I can't keep up with the amount he's taking in so he gets whatever I can pump whenever I can pump and is supplemented with formula for the rest of the feeding. HUGE weight lifted off my shoulders doing it that way! Don't stress yourself out, enjoy your little one!

eliguns841984 responded:
I had issues with DS1 as well, and couldn't seem to get production up. I ended up switching to formula and felt much better, actually. I was no longer stressed and suffering from PPD due to the anxiety BF'ing was causing me. It's a personal decision and while breastmilk is best, a calm, mentally stable mommy is important too! My doc prescribed something called metoclopramide for my BM production-you could try that. I couldn't take it though because it increased my anxious feelings and made it difficult for me to concentrate.
Noel (26) DH (32) J.T. (7/23/2008) and Abram (11/08/2010)

brewbaby replied to kmcarnag's response:
If you really want to breast feed I'm a big believer that if there is a will there is a way. Try to build support for yourself. Look for a local support group. I go to one through WIC but you can find them through La leche league and other places. Also find online forums about breast feeding where you can ask questions. And talk to your PED and a Lactation Consultant. Web MD has a forum one and so does LLLI.org with lots of moms who have been there and done that with breast feeding. Kellymom.com is a great site too for help. Lots of women are going through what your going through in my support group at wic. They take meds like reglin and pump/nurse like crazy and slowly their supply is growing. Some women decide to restart after they stop breast feeding and their milk dries up too. I have a friend who's baby is 9 months old. He was very premature and has trouble gaining weight. They had my friend stop BF and start FF on a high fat formula but the BF was working better so they wanted her to start BFing again. Her milk had already dried up tho. So she started pumping and taking reglin and she is now able to BF her baby. If she can do it, anyone can! There is a lot of help out there for you, you just have to want to do it! And remember, some BM is better than none, So even if your just supplementing BM, baby is still getting the good stuff!

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
Wow Cshyronia, you got some really great advice! I hope some of this was helpful. How are things going now?

Take care,
Emma
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. Elizabeth Stone

cshyronia replied to Emma_WebMD_Staff's response:
It was great advise. things are going about the same. I already tried reglin didnt do anything. i was planning on bf for about 3 months so he is 9 weeks now. i keep trying. give him what i can. but i will continue to bottle feed because he also was dyhydrated because of my milk production and i never want to experience that scare again. i love him and just wants what is best for him and my first was ff my second was bf for 3 months than ff. I know he will be ok. . was so crazy is my first child i had milk pouring out. but i was only 16 and didnt feel comfortable bf.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.