Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Uneven hip growth in 2 month old.
trnity posted:
Went for my daughters two month well baby, dr said she has uneven hip growth and said that it is out of socket cause it is so shallow. But said he could not put it back in place. I am obviously concerned although he didnt seem very concerned. He said xray, then if not happy ultra sound and if still not happy then refer to an ortho. So question is.. what causes this? What is he looking for? How concerned shoudl I be?

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Hi trnity

Reading your description makes me think of Developmental Hip Dysplasia. Here is a link that has some more info.

DHD is when the hip socket does not completely form. When the peds checks a baby's hips, he/she is looking to see if there is too much movement of the hip joint or if the skin folds are uneven.

Ultrasound would probably be my study of choice in a 2 month old because there is no radiation and the radiologist can watch movement of the hip with the ultrasound. Xrays, in my experience, are more helpful after the 6 month mark.

I would definitely advocate that you see a pediatric orthopedist if DHD is at all a consideration. Early intervention can really make a difference. If caught early, most infants are placed in a harness and that promotes proper development of the hip.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Dan

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.