Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Breastfeeding Help
myboys79 posted:
Hello,
I posted this on the Breastfeeding board as well but it's pretty quiet over there so I thought I would post here as well.

My daughter is 6 wks old and so far breastfeeding has been going pretty good but the only problem is that I can only get her to eat on one side at a time for about 10 min. She either falls asleep or just refuses the other side. She acts full and always spits up a little bit but then she wants to eat again an hour later! It's almost like she's not staying full long enough. I'm pretty sure she's getting as least 3 ounces as a time because that is what I am able to pump. I am exhausted since I'm not getting much sleep at night and I just went back to work this week. Has anyone else experienced this? How can I get her to eat completely on both sides?

Thank you!
Angie

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Angie,

Welcome to Baby's First Year. Hopefully Dr. Dan can give you an answer better as he is a lactation counselor and I will be sending your post to him to make sure he is aware you are asking questions.

We do have a very good video on Breastfeeding Problems that might be able to help in the meantime. I hope you come back here often so we can hear more about your little one

Let us know how things work out for you!
Emma
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. Elizabeth Stone

RS11518 responded:
I had a similar problem when my daughter was about that age (she is now 10 months and doing great). I had a problem with over-production to the point where she was getting too much too fast. She was getting a lot of air and was also spitting up a lot. Look it up on the la leche league website www.llli.org. I did exactly what they said and it took about a week or 2 to work itself out. The recommendation said to feed only on one side and not to offer the other side for at least 2 hours. If the baby wants to eat before the 2 hours are up, then offer the same side until that original 2 hour period ends. I kept a log to help keep track of time. It was a bit of a pain and by the end of 2 weeks my baby was screaming because the one side wasn't enough. Once we figured out that she was screaming out of hunger, I started offering both sides at a feeding. The feedings spread out to about 3 hours apart. I would also suggest try burping her. I know it is common that breastfed babies don't burp, but some do get a lot of air and sometimes it can take a lot of time to get the baby to burp.

Good luck. I was also told that by about 3 months these problems work themselves out.

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Hi Angie

Congrats on the new baby!

My first question would be to know how your baby is gaining weight. If she is gaining at least a 1/2 ounce per day then it sounds like you are in good shape.

Many babies, as they become more efficient, will be able to fill up in a 10 minute period - especially if you have a good milk supply and a fast flow.

At 3 weeks and 6 weeks, babies have days of cluster feeding in which they feed more frequently (often on the hour). The end result is that your body responds by increasing its supply. The more often a baby eats, the more milk your body has for the baby. This is a good thing.

The every hour feeding is actually a very normal thing at this age and feeding on demand is definitely the preferred method of nursing your baby.

The good news is that over the next couple of months your baby will likely be able to take more at a time and go longer stretches.

Hang in there for now. It sounds like you are doing an amazing job!

Hope that helps.

Dr. Dan

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.