Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Is this a rash or something serious?
martinawilliams posted:

DD (as you guys should know by now..lol) is 4 months. She has had this thing on her chin for weeks. I have no idea what it is and how to treat it. Can anyone help me?

It is normally dry after she takes a bath and after i lotion her up it isnt so dry. It is very red, ugly and dry (i know i keep repeating myself). It doesnt seem to itch and she doesnt mind but I want to get rid of it. Please help me!
Me (20), Bf (48) and DD,lilja born Nov.30.2010 . We Live in Jamaica for now :)

Ihgirl1066 responded:
Maybe try Aveeno baby eczema cream on it

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Hi - Let's see what we can do to help.

Generally these skin irritations around the mouth and under the chin are related to saliva, drool, pacifier use and food in contact with the skin.

My strategy is to keep the skin clean and dry as much as possible, reduce pacifier time (if using one) and using a barrier cream/moisturizer such as aquaphor.

When there is redness/inflammation/itchiness sometimes a pediatrician may try a small amount of 0.5% hydrocortisone cream once or twice a day for a few days - being careful not to get it too close to the mouth or eyes.

Hope that helps!

Dr. Dan

martinawilliams replied to Dan Brennan, MD's response:
Thanks. I have been using non soap, eczema ointment and trying to keep her mouth drool free. It is working o far, her skin is no longer red.
Me (20), Bf (48) and DD,lilja born Nov.30.2010 . We Live in Jamaica for now :)

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.