Skip to content
Sleeping Issues
startingover57 posted:
My 6 month old grandson who will be 7 months old on May 9 (My husband and I have temporary custody) has sleep issues that concern me. He is usually in bed for the night around 9 PM. However; he has NEVER slept through the entire night. Most nights he will awaken between the hours of 12 AM-3 AM, and sometimes again as early as 6 AM. He gets a formula feeding before going back to sleep. I am reading info that says he should be sleeping from 10-12 hours per night at this age. My perception is also that he awakens too easily at night. Should I be concerned? Are there any tips to help us help him with this situation? By the way, he does not sleep a lot during the day either. Often his naps may be only 30 minutes or so, and only a few times per day. I'm sorry to say that he was exposed to cocaine during the pregnancy. (Remember, we are the grandparents and not the parents.) Could the drug exposure be a possible cause of this? I would appreciate any and all input. This is hard on my husband and I----we are no longer "young parents"

phoenix31674 responded:
Well, my son is almost 8 months and has yet to sleep through the night. He goes 'to bed' roughly 8pm give or take 30 minutes. He's generally up again around 10:30, 2 and 4:30 because his diaper's wet and he's hungry.

My daughter slept through the night from around 6 weeks on. Talking to my mom, neither my brother nor I slept through the night until we were over a year. Remember what they tell you in baby books is based on averages. Both my kids were/are breastfed and my brother and I were formula.

Some people have used sleep training effectively, but during the times I have tried it with DS I give up after he cries for half an hour. Even after changing him, he won't go back to sleep without something to eat and he acts ravenous, feeding from both breasts, which is why I think he wakes in part because he really is hungry and not just feeding for comfort.

It is possible the drugs that were in his system are causing him to not sleep through the night, but there are plenty of babies out there who come from healthy pregnancies who don't sleep through the night easily.

Thankfully I deal with interrupted sleep rather well, i think in part because of my time in the Navy and the fact you get used to go 6 months at a time without a normal night's sleep. For me this is added to by the fact my daughter has lately had the tendency to get up at 5:30 or so, though the last couple of days it's been closer to 6:30 - an hour I can handle better.

Best of luck to you on your grandson.

GermaphobeTeacher responded:
That sounds pretty normal to me. Most babies are capable of sleeping through the night by that point, but that is defined as 5-6 hours straight for a baby. According to the National Sleep Foundation, about 70 percent of babies are sleeping through the night by 9 months, but some don't do so until after they are a year old. The only suggestion I have that might help is to make sure that he is getting plenty to eat during the day. When my daughter eats more during the day, she sleeps for longer stretches at night. I doubt that his sleep habits have anything to do with the drug exposure, but if you are really concerned you should talk to his pediatrician. I know how hard it is being sleep deprived at 26, so I can only imagine how you feel as grandparents.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.