Skip to content
New here, and birth story!
heat4heather posted:
Duncan Jay was born 5/5/11 at 8:54am, 7 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches

My water broke at 10pm on 5/4 (due date 5/10) with no warning, I was eating ice cream watching a movie! I planned to stay home as long as possible during early labor, but the contractions started fast and furious with lots and lots of fluid loss. Took a shower and got to the hospital by 11pm. Tried to get through labor by walking around and using some positions outside of the bed, but really fast labor! Went from 2 cm to 7 cm in 2 hours, the labor nurse said it was like a freight train.

Got an epidural at 7 cm because I was worried I wouldn't be strong enough to push him out if I went to 10 cm just as quickly without drugs. What relief! Slept a little, then felt him ready to come out around 6am. Started pushing at 7am, but my contractions weakened and weren't helping me push. They gave me pitocin to make them stronger, which helped get him out while I pushed. But then his heart rate dropped to a scary level twice, so they eased up on the Pitocin until he stabilized.

Used lots of positions to push, which was really helpful. After two hours of pushing, they realized his head was just too big! It would take a lot more pushing, and they wanted to make sure I would keep my strength. So they used the vacuum, and he was out immediately!!

He was super alert immediately and was on my chest for the first hours, and immediately wanted to feed. I had a decent tear into my rectum and some hemorrhoids, but I will heal. In the meantime, we are enjoying our little boy!

sarah0323 responded:
Congratulations!!
Sarah 32, SO 32, DD1 11, DS1 7, DS2 4, DS3 3, DD2 3 months

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome heat4heather,

Congratulations on the birth of your son! Sounds like you had a good handle on things. I look forward to getting to know more about you and your little guy!

Congratulations again!
Emma
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. Elizabeth Stone

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.