Skip to content
Newborn baby boy always pees out of his diaper!
heat4heather posted:
Our little boy is 6 days old and pees out of his diaper a lot. He pees out of the front while I feed him, since he is sort of belly to belly with me. He also overflows his diaper every night after 2-3 hours of sleeping.

Any suggestions on diaper brands/types for newborn boys?
Does he just pee a lot?
Or maybe his little thighs just need some fattening

sarah0323 responded:
Are you making sure he is pointing down when you put his diaper on? For my boys if they weren't pointing down then they would pee out of their diaper. I always used huggies.
Sarah 32, SO 32, DD1 11, DS1 7, DS2 4, DS3 3, DD2 3 months

eliguns841984 responded:
make sure his pee pee is pointed DOWN when you put his diaper on, should solve the problem!
Noel (26) DH (32) J.T. (7/23/2008) and Abram (11/08/2010)

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Heat4heather,

In the case of boys the best thing to do is make sure their penis is pointed down. If he is still peeing try moving up to the next size in diapers.

Good luck,
Emma
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. Elizabeth Stone

jadedstar responded:
do you tuck him down when you put his diaper on? I have to do this with my lil man he would pee so fast it would go straight out the top I tuck his penis pointing down when i put his daiper on now and that has worked great aiming it at the daiper i guess
Jaded (33) DD Anlea Jade(7) DS Eli Rain(3months) ~single mom and I love it~ They are my angels, my lil blessings from Heaven~

jadedstar responded:
WOW we all jhad the same answer at the same time LOL Hope you guys rae having a great day!
Jaded (33) DD Anlea Jade(7) DS Eli Rain(3months) ~single mom and I love it~ They are my angels, my lil blessings from Heaven~

phoenix31674 replied to jadedstar's response:
LOL My first was a girl, so i learned the pointing down the hard way after several days of peeing out his diaper. Once you get it pointed down, make sure the ruffles on the sides are pulled out. If one of those is tucked under the elastic, it will wick the pee onto his clothes. This one I learned with DD.

hope this advice helps. I have used both regular Pampers, Swaddlers, regular Huggies and the ones made for infants. i found very little difference in the premium versions of Huggies and Pampers. Pampers I find it easier to tell when the baby is wet, but DS didn't seem to like them as much so we've mostly been doing Huggies, though if I'm not specific enough on the list, DH will pick up Pampers. Huggies are also cheaper here, so that's what I've been getting.

heat4heather responded:
Thanks everyone! Yes, the pointing down works for avoiding leaks from the top, but we still have leakage around his little thighs. Perhaps we just have to wait for him to get chunkier!

Last night we double diapered him. Worked great
Duncan Jay born 5/5/11

Emma_WebMD_Staff replied to heat4heather's response:
Hi Heat4heather,

I am glad you got some good advice, I with I knew how to help you around his legs at night. Is he still in newborn size diapers?

Take care,
Emma
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. Elizabeth Stone

MomOfTheDude replied to heat4heather's response:
I still have the same problem at times with my little guy and he's a year now. Skinny Legs! I found that Pampers fit a little more snug around the legs than the Huggies, and be sure to pull the ruffle out around the legs.

Kay_And responded:
I've read if a baby is leaking out of their diaper, it is time for the next size up. Even if they are not in the weight range yet. try a bigger size!

eliguns841984 replied to Kay_And's response:
yes, I have found this to be true. If his pee pee is pointed down and he's still leaking around the thighs, try the next size of diaper, even if you have to fold it down around the waist .
Noel (26) DH (32) J.T. (7/23/2008) and Abram (11/08/2010)

Shepsmomma responded:
This also happened to my newborn, and i tried everything (going up a diaper size, double diapering, making sure edges aroung legs are fanned out, pointing penis down) but nothing worked.

What did work for me was Leaving a gauze pad on his penis inside his diaper (i secured it in place with a dot of desitin cream). I am also using a thirsties diaper cover just in case, but i think the gauze is sufficient. Hope this helps!

hgreenwood7058 replied to Shepsmomma's response:
Shepsmomma what kind of diaper are you using? WHen my son was younger he would constantly pee out of his huggies diapers and well any diaper even pointed down until I used the huggies swaddlers. He is also has good bladder and kidney function. He pees a lot. So changing him often was the key as well. Atleast every 1.5 to 2 hours or sooner if needed. He is now 6 months old and now we can use pretty much any type of diaper but changing him every 2 or so hours is still needed because of him peeing a lot. Otherwise his diaper feels like a rock from being so full. lol.

cloudtcg replied to Shepsmomma's response:
I also had the same problem with mine! I found out, like hgreenwood said, sometimes the baby just pees A LOT. So, changing his diaper more often can help prevent most of the leakage. I also found out that just making sure the diaper edges are fanned out aren't enough (because, if your baby's like mine, if he pees a bit too much, it still may leak out). So, when I change him, I get into the habit of fanning out the edges and pulling it aside a little to see if the diaper lining is "tight" on his thighs. This has stopped all unnecessary leakage for me.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.