Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
IS MY BABY TOO LITTLE
cshyronia posted:
My son was 7lbs 3oz at birth than he had jaundice and dehydration at was admitted to nicu at 3days old he had dropped to 6lbs 1 oz in 24 hrs. Childrens NICU was great here in Omaha,Ne they got my baby better and he was able to go home in 3days. While in NICU they started supplementing with formula because my milk production was low. well around 2 weeks i notice blood in his bowel movement. his dr took off breast went to nutrimigen formula he had no more blood he went back on breast has well. be he has severe allergy to Cow's milk protein. I have stopped bf altogether because the most i could pump was 2 oz a day. i was so scared he would get dehydrated again. He is now 14 weeks and he weigh 11lbs 8 oz his dr says hes doing good. but every keeps saying i have a tiny baby is this a normal weight.

kay_kay75 responded:
cshyronia,

My daughter is a little older than your son and is only 13lbs 9oz, she is 15 weeks old, I don't think your son is small, people don't realize how small babies really are when they are this age!

phoenix31674 responded:
Keep in mind that not all babies are linebackers. just keep watching him over time to see that he stays on the same curve. If he does that, there's nothing to worry about. It's when babies jump between curves - big jumps, not just 5-10%. and I do think folks do sometimes not keep track of how big babies are at certain ages because they grow so fast. I found an old 0-3 month onesie for DS the other day and couldn't believe he had been that tiny - he's 7 months now.

mesha84 responded:
My son is gonna be 6 months on the 23rd of this month n when I took him to the dr a couple of wks ago he was 19 lbs and he is above average with his weight n height. As long as ur dr say ur lo is fine then you shouldn't worry.
Tamisha(me)26 James(DF)27 ds1 Gary7,sd1 Saniaa6,ds2 Damien5, ds3 Amari3 ds4 Elijah 1 year, ds5 Isaiah born 11-23-10

MartinaWilliams responded:
DD is almost 6 months and weighs only 15 lbs she is in the 50th percentile for weight (at her last doc visit almost 2 months ago). Most girls her age are a bit heavier but i try not to compare her because she is her own person. At 3 months she was 11 lbs. Just watch him and I understand that its not so easy not to worry. I constantly worried about my DD's weight.
Me (20), Bf (48) and DD,lilja born Nov.30.2010 . We Live in Jamaica for now :)

Shelly_Kaye responded:
Usually if your doctor isn't worried I wouldn't be either. WebMD has a link on the Babies Page to Growth Charts , if you are interested in looking.

Good luck!
Shelly

Wendy12345678 responded:
I will say this, my baby is very large, and some people say he's so small. He is by no means small, he is 4 months and 18 lbs. I noticed that the people say he's small are people that have a story of a bigger baby, or have a toddler and have just forgotten how little young babies are. Almost 12 lbs sounds perfectly good to me, my middle was a thin baby boy, and now he's just a skinny 5 year old LOL. I bet with all you've been through its easy to stress when people comment, but I don't think his weight is abnormal at all. Good luck, and glad he's doing well!

GermaphobeTeacher responded:
If the doctor isn't concerned about his weight, I am sure he is fine. People are always going to comment on the size of your baby. People are always telling us how big our daughter is, and it doesn't bother me at all. She's 4 months, 17.5 pounds, and 27 in long. She is big for her age, but she's healthy, and that's all that matters to me. As long as he is healthy and growing properly, there is nothing wrong with being a tiny baby. Big babies are just harder to lift and haul around.

cshyronia responded:
thanks to everyone who responded well he went to his 4 month appt. dr said he's normal. he is in 25th percentile.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.