Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Sleep problems
alisa_l posted:
My son is 1 year old. He has been sleeping through the night for a long time now. Last week he started waking up around 12:30 and crying for a long time. He would not stop till the nanny took him to her room an out him to sleep in the playpen. There he falls asleep and sleeps through the morning. He is wearing an overnight diaper, so he is not wet. We are not sure what to do. No picking him up is not an option, as he gets up and won't stop crying. Any advice?

Thanks

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Hi Alisa -

Has anything changed recently in your night routine? Has there been an illness, teething, travel, house guests, etc?

Sometimes a slight change in routine can through off a baby's sleep pattern. Getting back to the routine will likely result in a routine to sleeping through the night. I agree with you, that the less handling in the middle of the night is the way to go.

Let us know how he does and we can try to troubleshoot this some more :)

Dr. Dan

roni090909 responded:
Have you tried tylenol or motrin? He might be teething. Or maybe he is getting ready to hit some new milestones that are causing him to wake.

alisa_l replied to Dan Brennan, MD's response:
There was no change in his routine. He is teething, but he has been for a couple of months now. We started putting him to sleep and letting him cry out for a while. He now falls asleep in about 5 minutes, but those 5 minutes he cries very hard. He also gets up and stand in the bed.

alaska_mommy replied to alisa_l's response:
My son has always had sleeping problems. When he was younger (about 6 or 8 months, he's 17 months now), his pedi recommended chamomile tea for him. She said brew it according to directions and then, after it's cooled, give about 2 oz. It did seem to help on occasion...maybe it would either help him stay asleep or get back to sleep in the middle of the night. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

anemia scare
my 16 month old daughter just got some blood work done and the results came back and showed she was anemic. We are very concerned, scared, ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.