Skip to content
Sleeping position for infant
nic14120 posted:
My daughter is 8 weeks old and is only wanting to sleep on her belly. :( She has really good head control, but con not roll yet or hold her head up unassisted as of yet. I have tried the glider, swing, bassinett, crib, everything and she will auto wake right up and not go back to sleep in this position, even the car seat she freaks about! I have resorted to having her sleep on my arm, on her side, in the bed with me. I know I wont roll on her, but this is not ideal for either of us, and SIDS worries me. I do have the angel care monitor that I used with my son, he was a back sleeper with bad reflux. Would it be safe to have her sleep on her belly and just use the monitor since it monitors her breathing? I feel lost on what to do to do what is best!

MadlyMaggieMae responded:
Have you tryed a swaddle blanket? My daughter startles herself awake constantly during the day... at night I swaddle her and it keeps her from startling and helps her sleep. It might work for your little one too.Sometimes she wakes up as i'm putting her in it but i rock her back to sleep and she sleep really well in it. I've even started swaddling her for her naps because everytime i put her down she seemed to wake up instantly. I don't know that much about the stomach sleep although i've heard that it can be less dangerous if they use a pacifier. Might just be a rumor though. Sorry I couldn't help on that part but the swaddle blankets are 10 bucks and if it doesn't work you could take it back lol. Good luck. Hope one of the other ladies has more advice on the tummy sleeping for you.
Miss Cordelia Violet ~ Born 3/28/11 ~ 4 lbs 7 oz. 16 in. long.

alaska_mommy responded:
All the experts will tell you that tummy sleeping is a huge no-no.
However, that said, I let my son sleep on his tummy and I also let him sleep in bed with us which most docs say is another big no-no.
My son had horrible reflux and I was willing to do just about anything to get some much-needed rest. He did just fine and is a happy one-and-a-half year old now.
What about positioning her on her side? Sometimes that's a nice compromise between tummy and back, and they have those little foam wedges you can use to keep her in that position.
I won't say "just go for it" because I know that's not the best of advice, but I will say that, while doctors know a lot, mothers know their babies too, and sometimes, you just have to go with your gut on these kinds of things.

phoenix31674 responded:
Early on I found out my son did not like sleeping on his back. He would sleep on his side just fine. Once he started rolling from side to back, I had to start putting him to sleep on his tummy. He just will not sleep on his back. he has always had great head control. I just let him do what he liked and he's been fine and we both got some sleep - though he is still not a great sleeper at almost 8 months waking up 1-2 times per night.

I would follow your baby's cues on sleeping. it'll make everyone happier.

alaska_mommy replied to phoenix31674's response:
My son is not a great sleeper either, at 16 months he still wakes a couple times a night too.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.