Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Infant Erections
chrmn2k posted:
My daughter was a bit surprised when the mothers at her Mother's Class were discussing erections in their male babies. My grandson, has never had an erection, he's 7 months old, and she was embarassed to say he didn't. We have searched the Web and the only thing we've found to answer this question is that it is perfectly normal for baby boys, young men or adults to have an erection for no particular reason. Our question is: Is it normal if your male infant doesn't seem to ever have an erection?

Take the Poll

Does your male infant have erections?
  • Yes, they are perfectly normal.
  • Yes, I've occassionally noticed he has erections when urinating.
  • No, I have never noticed an erection.
  • Yes, it is normal to have or have no erections.
  • No, I have never heard anyone discuss this topic.
vote
View Poll Results

tothebeach4 responded:
Maybe she just hasn't seen him with an erection. My son seems to only have an erection when I change his diaper right after he's just woken up and still a little on the sleepy side.

chrmn2k replied to tothebeach4's response:
Thank you!

MAllen81 responded:
I have a 3 week old and he gets them, too, at diaper changes.

Kay_And responded:
I've never seen my son with an erection that I know of...he's 8 months old.

chrmn2k replied to Kay_And's response:
We took him to his pediatrician and posed the question to her. She said that we hadn't noticed, but most babies and infants naturally have erections, especially when diaper changing and other physical stimulation or just when voiding. She also said the butterball turkey we have, 20 lbs, has a fat pad which hangs over his "erection". When she moved the fat, the flag was at attention! LOL He's so healthy, she can't believe some of the things that we worry about. However, since she is excellent at her job, and is a mother of two, she explained, demonstrated and encouraged us to always ask the "silly questions."
You never know when it's important and it's important to the baby and mom, grandmom too.

SandySo responded:
It was surprising to see my new son with this situation, but I soon realized this was going to be something that happened often. He is now 4 years old, and he still gets numerous erections most days, especially in the morning or at bath time, and even just before a nap.

For new mothers, I understand the surprise. I also relate to the mother who mentioned she didn't expect the size change to be so different between 'normal' and erect. Like her, I thought it was beyond proportion when that happened, but his pediatrician said it was normal and was caused by hormones he received from me at birth. I don't know how that works, but was relieved to hear her say it was normal.

I've also heard mothers say it happened to their sons in the womb and showed up on their sonograms. That wasn't my experience, but I don't doubt that it could have happened without my knowledge. I've learned that boys function like men do, even before birth. I guess we shouldn't be too concerned that boys will be boys.

JTravis7 responded:
Our son was born with an erection...which I'd not heard of, but was informed by the nurse that it's not unusual for that to happen.

Allaya9 replied to JTravis7's response:
I happened to look back at the pictures of our little man right after he was born and the nurses were cleaning him up, and he was born with an erection also. I do notice it when we clean up a poopy diaper (sometimes the poop gets all over his little parts), and sometimes during a bath he will get an erection. Perfectly normal, just goes with being a boy.

AliSwin replied to Allaya9's response:
From the beginning, ours has been 'all boy', even before he was born. Erection on the sono, same when he was born, and happens now 2 or 3 times a day, it seems. My hubby says he's a 'man's man'! I knew that happened to boys, but wasn't thinking it happened THAT much or this early. lol Evidently, it does. And with it 'up' that often, there's lots of opportunity for him to discover it's there. Diaper change, and his hands go right down there. No doubt, boys come into the world fascinated by their deal-ios. lol

AliSwin replied to SandySo's response:
Sandy, I had the same 'shock factor' also. Seemed out of place on such a little guy. Not sure what I was expecting, but nothing like that. It's still strange how much it changes when that happens. Our human bodies are fascinating.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.