Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
is it ok to mix soy based formula with milk based formula?
cahernandez posted:
my baby has had diarrhea for almost a month and i have gone to the clinic i take him to, the problem is that he does not have a consistent doctor, its basically who ever is there will assist him... so all they can tell me is that it might be a virus, so i took him to the emergency because i felt like i was not getting any answers from the doctors at the clinic and there the doctor told me to give him soy formula, and lately his bowel movements have been getting better with just the milk based formula, but i still bought a can of soy. so i was wondering would i be able to mix the both formulas in his bottles or should i just stick with the milk based formula or try out the soy based formula?

KSHoh responded:
I am not sure if you can mix them. My son just got over diarrhea a few weeks ago. By the time he got to the doctor he had it for over a week. The doctor told us to give him soy for 5-7 days. He was much better after. The doc said with regular formula the milk can sometimes be too hard on the stomach and prolongs the diarrhea. So I would just try the soy for the week and then put him back on his regular formula, it worked well for my son.

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Thank you so much for your post.

My general rule of thumb is that if diarrhea is going on for more than 10 days or has any blood present, then a stool study - such as a stool culture - can be helpful to rule out the presence of a bacterial infection.

Sometimes prolonged diarrhea can result in children having a temporary lactose intolerance. In these cases, a lactose-free formula, such as soy, can be helpful.

My suggestion would be to talk to a pediatrician about the nature and frequency of your baby's bowel movements and ask if a stool culture might be helpful.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Dan

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Updated Crib Safety GuidelinesExpert
For information on the latest federal crib safety standards, here is a link to important points for parents to be aware of! ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.