Skip to content
How long for certain foods to affect my breastmilk?
heat4heather posted:
I have heard that certain foods that I eat might make my baby fussy through breastmilk (onions, broccoli, spicy food, etc), and I am trying to figure out if that's true.

How long does it take for a food to affect my milk?
If I eat broccoli with dinner at 6pm, does it affect the 7pm, 10pm, or 3am feeding?
And have any of you found any foods that definitely make your babies fussy?

Thanks!
Duncan Jay born 5/5/11

StarryGrrl responded:
Yes, it is very common for certain foods to cause newborns to be more gassy and therefore, more fussy. I've found that broccoli, popcorn, cabbage, beans and cauliflower are big no-no's when I'm breastfeeding, but I'm sure that it varies by individual. As far as how long it takes to affect the baby, I've found that from experience it's several hours. One night I had popcorn around 10pm and then by 11am the next day my baby was gassy and fussy. I guess it would depend on how fast your body metabalizes the food and how often you feed your baby though. I hope that helps.

mommyNtraining responded:
the only thing that i noticed that seemed to affect my daughter was if i ate spicy food. now my background is thai, so we're known to eat spicier than most, but she wasnt having it. it upset her tummy and made her colicky so i stayed away from spicy ever since. cant say i notice with anything else i eat. if u do eat something and it does seem to bother your baby, you can try gripe water or "colic calm"(@ cvs or online) and that may help to just have on hand, or even baby gas drops...doesnt hurt.

mom2laurenmckenna responded:
I think caffeine is most concentrated in NM @ 1 hour. As for foods, I only had troubles w curries and Indian cuisine. The first try for both was bad news by the first feeding after I ate(about 2 hours ). That was when she was 2 months. Since about 6 months its been better, but I still avoid extra spicy stuff.

Like pp I used gas drops occasionally and they were helpful.

evie28 responded:
Here is a very helpful link from a nurse who specializes in breastfeeding advice: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-foods/

There are no foods you "have to" avoid while breastfeeding. Some of it is old wives tale (broccoli causes gas in Mom because of the fiber in the food, ..however fiber cannot pass into breastmilk and into baby). Sometimes I would eat something and swear it upset my baby, then other times be fine. One time I thought for sure it was the spicy orange chicken I ate, but then he sprouted 2 new teeth so it was probably teething. Also, newborns and young babies OFTEN have fits of crying/screaming/etc some times for no apparent reason. I didn't cut back on anything while nursing because I could never pinpoint anything specific. As far as how long it takes to get into the milk - Check out this article (too long to copy & paste) http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/qa/what-i-eat-to-get-into-my-breastmilk

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Did you know crib bumpers can be dangerous?Expert
Sure they're cute, but are they worth the potential risk? Between 1985 and 2005, 27 children under the age of 2 years died and 25 were ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.