Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Am I a bad mom?
wmatto83 posted:
So I have a 3 week old! He is a good baby...but the first two weeks of course he was a little confused about the whole sleep thing. So he ended up sleeping on my chest which meant no sleeping for me. He does not want to Sleep in his crib at night only during the day. So he loves his bouncy seat so now what I do is put his bouncy seat in his crib and he sleeps in it for a good 3 to 5 hours a night and wakes up for a bottle and then goes make to sleep for 2 to 3 hrs. I think this is great sleep for being so little...however I feel horrible that my baby is stuck in a bouncy seat to sleep I feel like the worse mom in the world. Has anyone had these issues and then eventually broke the baby of sleeping in the bouncy seat???
Me 28 DH 38 Brittany boy dogs both 4 DS born 5/24/11

kay_kay75 responded:
I had this same problem, my daughter hated the crib or bassinet. A friend of mine bought me a Rock and Play Sleeper by Fisher Price, since it is designed for them to sleep it I felt more comfortable with her in there instead of the bouncy seat. This helped until I was able to get her used to sleeping on her back. It also helped to elevate her bassinet some since she has some allergy issues. My friend got the Rock and Play sleeper from Target but I am sure you can find them other places. Good Luck and happy sleeping to you and your little one!
HTH

phoenix31674 responded:
When they are brand new, I find you do whatever it takes to get them to sleep. My son had a couple of days where he liked his bouncy seat and slept in it. We left it on the floor. I would be leery of putting it in the crib as even though infant mattresses are pretty firm, there would still be a greater tendency to flip there than on the floor.

I learned that my son did not like sleeping on his back - only on his side. He also only liked sleeping in our bed, not his, and I had to be next to him for him to sleep. I had not set out to cosleep, but we ended up that way for a few months. We did eventually get him to sleep in his bed, but when he did, he started rolling onto his tummy and would not sleep on his back. He's almost 9 months and still won't sleep on his back. We just minimized the SIDS risks as much as possible (binky, running the fan, nothing soft in the crib, etc) and decided not to fight a battle that would leave everyone miserable.

I found the first couple of months was a lot of appeasement and then from around 3 months on we worked on getting him to sleep better in his bed.

MNMommy3 responded:
I'm sort of having the same issue. My DD is 5 months now, but when she was younger she would only sleep with us or in her swing. We finally got her sleeping pretty much through the night at about 3-1/2 months, or at least only getting up once at about 3:00 a.m. to eat. Just 2 weeks ago we transitioned her into her crib in our room - she's NOT having it! She typically does great for naps during the day, but at night she's up at least every 2 hours, if not more. After the second awakening, I typically bring her to bed with us as I have to get up at 4:30 a.m. to work and I need my sleep. Have you tried swaddling your DS? Sometimes that works for DD, even at 5 months old. I'm considering trying to lay her on her side but I'm kind of afraid since she hasn't rolled over herself yet. She also will only fall asleep if being nursed. I guess my best advice, and what I'm trying to do, is to be consistent with the crib. Even if they wake, put them back down in there. I figure eventually they'll associate the crib with sleep time.
Kelly (32), DF (31), DS (12), DS (6), DD (4 months)

wmatto83 responded:
Thank you all for your advice I am going to try different things you all said!! I did try swaddling but he is so strong he kicks right out of it & I wrap him tight! He even did that in the hospital when the nurses would wrap him. Well we shall see what works thanks again!

mommyNtraining replied to wmatto83's response:
this might not help u ,but it may be comforting to know you are not alone. it will get better i promise! & ur not a bad mom. look up my old post. its called "the story of the...crib"

MadlyMaggieMae replied to wmatto83's response:
Try one of the summer swaddle blanket.... they have velcro so baby has a harder time breaking free... my daughter manages to get an arm out occasionally... but they work on babies up to 14 lbs and they are awesome. i swear my LO would never sleep if not for those blankets.
Miss Cordelia Violet ~ Born 3/28/11 ~ 4 lbs 7 oz. 16 in. long.

wmatto83 replied to mommyNtraining's response:
Thank you so much for saying that I appreciate this post and i will look up your story!! ANd I will also look for that swaddle blanket MadlyMaggieMae

cshyronia responded:
know they say u shouldnt put baby on their stomach but my ds is 4months old and he would not sleep for more than 1 on his back or side unless he was in bed with me wrap in my arms. I laid him on his belly he had a binky and now he sleeps all night . he goes down around 8:30 - 9 and wakes at 6:30

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

Crib Safety Tips
CRIB SAFETY TIPS if you have a used crib or are considering buying one: Make sure it has no corner posts. older infants can catch ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.