Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
The whites of the eyes are yellowish. Jaundice?
heat4heather posted:
My boy is 7 weeks and the whites of his eyes have seemed slightly yellow since he was born. According to the pediatrician, he didn't have jaundice at his 4 day and 2 week checkups, but he might have only looked at his skin (not the eyes).

What could the slightly yellow color mean, if his skin doesn't seem yellow at all?

I live in California, and take him for a little sun time when I can. (Not on his face, of course.)
Duncan Jay born 5/5/11

Tree555 responded:
As long as he is having plenty of poops and pees,than i dont think its jaundice. Im not sure what the yellow color could mean. If your worried about it, just call and ask your dr. Theyre are use to tons of questions, so dont feel stupid calling. good luck!

Dan Brennan, MD responded:
Hi Heather -

The yellow in the eyes is very likely to be jaundice. Several types of jaundice exist, including something called breastmilk jaundice.

Usually a pediatrician will initially evaluate persistent jaundice by ordering 2 tests - total bilirubin and direct bilirubin.

I would ask your pediatrician if these tests would be beneficial in this case.

Dr. Dan

sdadkin responded:
Both of my boys had jaundice. What kind of test did the dr do? At my dr office they have this wand-looking thing that they run across the baby's forehead that measures the jaundice level. The dr told me that the eyes are the last place for the jaundice to leave the body. It took awhile for Mason's jaundice to go away but it's finally gone now. If baby Duncan doesn't have yellowish skin and it's only in his eyes then his jaundice is probably almost gone too. HTH!
Dawn (26) Justin (26) DS1 Carter (7/22/09) DS2 Mason (5/3/11)

heat4heather replied to sdadkin's response:
Thanks!

His skin has never looked yellow, although he came out with lovely olive-tan skin so maybe it is hard to tell! His eyes seem to be getting better, so I think you're right.

Hope you're enjoying little Mason!
Duncan is just starting to become a little person who likes to smile and laugh, rather than just a blob baby, so he's more fun now :)
Duncan Jay born 5/5/11

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.