Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Car Seat Question
MartinaWilliams posted:
I just bought a Britax Marathon 70 Car Seat. I am worried about the safety of my DD because it seems as if there are so many accidents on our roads these days. APO Parenting

My question is, where is the safest place in a car to put the seat?
Me (20), Bf (48) and DD,lilja born Nov.30.2010 . We Live in Jamaica for now :)

Take the Poll

I just bought a Britax Marathon 70 Car Seat. I am worried about the safety of my DD because it seems as if there are so many accidents on our roads these days. APO Parenting

My question is, where is the safest place in a car to put the seat?
  • Center
  • Behind the passenger seat
  • Behind the driver's seat
vote
View Poll Results

sweetbaby82 responded:
In the center, as long as it fits properly. I know Britax has videos on their website that shows how to properly install all of their seats and even suggests a pool noodle or rolled towel if the seat isnt sitting flat in the center position.
Baby Boy born 9/8/10! 4 pounds 13 ounces

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Martina!

I agree with pp that the middle seat is recommended for safe positioning of your LO's car seat. Check out this helpful WebMD Child Car Seats - Topic Overview for more information on car seat requirements, safe positioning and resources to help you online and in your area.

Take care!
Amelia

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Martina,

I also just wanted to let you know that this make/model of car seat was unfortunately ranked amongst the latest car seats with the most hazardous chemicals found. Please check out the WebMD Flame Retardants, Chemicals Found in Car Seats news article for more information.

Take care!
Amelia

MartinaWilliams replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for the info. I have the Britax Marathon 70 in Allion. They only mentioned Jet set (or something like that). So i guess im ok then...
Me (20), Bf (48) and DD,lilja born Nov.30.2010 . We Live in Jamaica for now :)

GermaphobeTeacher responded:
Even if your car seat was on the list in that study, you should be fine. The safety of your child should you be in an accident is much more important. The chemicals they tested for are in pretty much everything (cars, carpet, furniture, mattresses, etc), so the odds of your child getting sick from her car seat is basically non existent. The study was basically worthless. They only tested for one type of flame retardant, so just because they say that a certain car seat is good doesn't mean it is actually any safer. It might just contain the type they didn't test for, which is just as "dangerous". I hate when the media blows things like this out of proportion and scares parents half to death.

fiannakyn replied to GermaphobeTeacher's response:
The "study" used for that toxic list was never intended for concederation in safety The orginal article even says so. They used a test that just tested for the existance of the family of chemicals in the seat, but never tested the toxisity levels or even exactly the chemical. No actual scientist was involved in this testing and was not published in a peer reviewed scientific journal either. It's mostly fear mongering.

in this case it was looking for Brominated fireprotectants which are in EVERYTHING and there is abut 70 pantented formulas, only a handfull are rated as harmfull, and the rest have low rates of transferance. There are no more "toxic" chemicals in a car seat than there are in the car itself. I could probably find an article just as well written with as many backers that says the worst seat in the list was all natural and safe to use. Is either article right? Not really.

In other words, yes its in the car seat, but the seat is sealed for you and your child's safty. unless you plan on letting your kid eat the whole seat.

I wish Webmd would take that article down, it's has no scientific base.

An example of the test they used-
they basicly used a special light and shined it on the seat, and rated it based on how much it glowed. but some brominated fireprotectants are harmless but glows brighter than some toxic versions. and it doesnt take into account transferance. Think of CSI- freshly painted room, they test for blood and find splatters on the wall behind the paint. is the blood there? yes. Is the blood able to get to you through the paint? no. does some areas glow brighter than others? yes does that mean the blood is fresh or toxic? no.
Vicky DH (34) In process of becoming licensed foster parents. Lurking for research :)

fiannakyn replied to fiannakyn's response:
but to your org question- I just had my car seats checked by the fire department and they verified middle is best if you can.

you might check with your car manual if you plan on using the LATCH system- some cars don't have it in the middle of the seat. and in that case the fireman said behind the driver is better.

*I forgot to mention on my rant on the toxic article - my husband is a scientist and it's really his rant.*
Vicky DH (34) In process of becoming licensed foster parents. Lurking for research :)

Featuring Experts

Dr. Dan Brennan is a Board Certified Pediatrician and Certified Lactation Counselor. He is a graduate of UCLA, Albany Medical College and completed ...More

Helpful Tips

The What, When, How, and Why of Babies Sleeping Through the NightExpert
I absolutely love the discussions in this newborn community! I have noticed lots of discussions lately about sleep issues in babies that ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.